Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 18, 2006, 8:03 AM   #1

Imade a big mistake and bought acheap old secondhand 50mm Pentax 1.7 lens..... I took it out this weekend and i'vefallen in love with the crisp, blurry background pictures it takes.I did miss theautofocus andzoom convenience of the Sigma 18-125mmbut when you compare the picturesthequalityisn't evenclose... Not sure I'll ever be satisfied with the Sigma now....

Is there a zoom lens with autofocus that would get near to the 50mm lens for sharp pictures? Does anyone have experience with theTamron 28-75MM F2.8lens orSigma 28-70mm2.8?

bobinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2006, 9:44 AM   #2

I've seen reviews on the Tamron lens you are talking about for a variety of slr cameras, and there seems to be a quality control issue with it, where some needed to be taken back for recalibrating. Other than that people seemed to be impressed with it and its sharpness. I've been interested in this lens also, being disappointed by the18-55 pentax kit lens, but will likely go for the pentax 50mm 1.4.
ksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:06 AM   #3

What happens when you get to 1.4 - even sharper?Have to say I can't believe it gets much better than this (SMC A) F1.7....

But alas manual and no zoom. Any ideas on the Sigma 17-70mm?
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:10 AM   #4

Welcome to Old Glass, welcome to Prime Lenses, welcome to LBA :lol::lol::lol:

Primes (of quality) will always be sharper than zooms.

Try your sigma at high f stop say f/8 and you might be surprised at how sharp they can be.

I love manual focus, makes me feel like I am doing the work.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:29 AM   #5

I'm still very green in manual mode.... certainly need to practice a bit more to get the hang of it. I was just knocked out by the clairty and colours taken with the 50mm lens.

Enjoyed your surfing shots the other day - where did you take them? It was flat as a pancake over this side. Ifound a usedSigma 1.4x tele and havea 100-300mm Sigma lens which will hopefully be capable of producing something similar if I can sneak it away from the wife and find some suitable subjects.

Crash, I know you also have the Sigma but what other lensdo you usefor general walk around photography?
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:38 AM   #6

bobinoz wrote:
Quote:
Is there a zoom lens with autofocus that would get near to the 50mm lens for sharp pictures?
I am pretty new to this also. I don't have a zoom suggestion but if the main thing you are missing is the autofocus I can tell you that the SMC F 50mm 1.7 takes pictures that are the equal of the SMC A 50mm 1.7. I bought the A off of ebay and then stumbled across a brand new F in a pawn shop ($50!!) a couple of weeks later. I love them both for their ability to take pictures indoors without using a flash.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:50 AM   #7

bobinoz wrote:
Quote:
What happens when you get to 1.4 - even sharper?Have to say I can't believe it gets much better than this (SMC A) F1.7....

But alas manual and no zoom. Any ideas on the Sigma 17-70mm?
I should have mentioned that I am new to DSLR. :?

(+ should have left out that last sentence from my previous post--off topic)

Based on what others say, I think that both the 1.4 and the 1.7 lenses are very similar, but the 1.4 allows for slightly lower lighting conditions.
ksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:56 AM   #8

Hi Bob,

ksurfer wrote:

"I've seen reviews on the Tamron lens you are talking about for a variety of slr cameras, and there seems to be a quality control issue with it, where some needed to be taken back for recalibrating. Other than that people seemed to be impressed with it and its sharpness. "

Although the first statement is basically true, it really doesn't apply when it comes to its use with Pentax DSLRs. Any issues with recalibration have probably been with C and N, not Pentax. There are certainly a few problems with certain lenses where Pentax DSLRs have focus accuracy problems, but this Tamron isn't one of them. I think that the fault lies more with the focus system tolerances of the N and C cameras, and less with the lens. I cruise a few Pentax DSLR fora, and have for over a year. I cannot recall any credible issues from any users with this lens.

I full heartedly agree with the second part of the statement and am very impressed with Tamron 28-75/2.8 XR Di SP. . . and its sharpness. I cruise a few fora, and have for over a year. I cannot recall any credible issues from any users with this lens. It's generally considered a best of class lens, but don't think that any zoom is going to really compete one on one with the best of the Pentax primes, especially when cosidering bokeh rendering.

My .02

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:46 AM   #9

I found out pretty early on that the old primes would blow the socks off the 18-55mm pretty easily. I now use the primes almost exclusivley and an old Super Takumar 28mm is my favorite. I hope to buy a DA40mm pancake to act as mynormal lens now that it has a nice rebate on it. I have a 50mm macro and I have found the 75mm focal length on my DL is just a little long for many things. I find I have to constantly step back, the 28mm, I step forward. The macro is great for flowers though.

The only problem with the old primes is they are totally manual, but you get use to it pretty quick. Of course my other camera was a Spotmatic II, so I had a little training doing manual over the years - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:36 PM   #10

Bob, I like to hang at Cottesloe to get the surfing shots, the waves break close to the beach so I am not trying to shoot little bodies 1/2 a click out.

Lenses...well where do I start.

Sigma kit lens 18-125mm, came with the camera havent; used it since I started buying other lenses.

Sigma EX 28--70mm f/2.8, fell in love with the 28-70mm range after seeing a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 at a job I was at, some newpaper photographer was at my scene and taking pics, I had a chat to see what he was using and had a play with his camera, so I bought a Sigma version and that is my main lens ready to go.

Sigma EX 24mm f/1.7, got carried away with buying lenses and thought what the hell and got this at the same time, nice prime lens, fast and wide, good for indoors.

Pentax SMC-A 50mm f1/7, always always have this lens with me, sharp sharp sharp, say no more.

Pentax SMC 55mm f/1.8 with 52mm filter thread, slightly different lens than the 50mm, I actually use this for my reversing macro ring..hehehe

Tokina RMC 17mm f/3.5, picked this one up recently at a camera fair at the last minute, I love it, wide enough to give some good views on things without being total fisheyed.

Tokina RMC 80-200mm f/4.5, found this somewhere, I think a pawnshop for about $35, amazing night time lens, litertally focus on anything about 10 feet away and everything onwards is super sharp, does some nice daytime shots too, a most underrated little lens and small enoug to be easily carried. See them all the time on eBay.

Vivitar 135mm f/2.8, got this for $12 on eBay and $15 postage from the UK, I think the sharpest lens I own. Need to play with it some more.

Tamron M42 screw mount 80-250mm f/3.8, big lens, heavy, hardly used it since I got other lenses.

Takumar 300mm f/4 M42 Screw mount, huge piece of glass, nice to work with, love it until I recently got the next BIG lens.

Lastly, my New used Tamron SP 200-500mm f/5.6, heavy, huge, sharp, easy to use and gets a lot of looks, love this lens. Still getttng used to it.

I also have a couple of teleconverters, macro tubes too.

I carry everything, other than the big lenses (Tamrons x 2 and the Takumar) and the 55mm and 24mm EX Sigma lens. They all fit nicely in my Lowepro AW100.

Here is a shot I took the other week up at South Hedland whilst I was up at a job.

Tokina RMC 17mm lens. ISO 200, 1/1600sec f/3.5, untouched, no PP, just resized.
Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote