Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:41 AM   #21

Sorry Sarah and Patty. I just made that comment to show what could be done, but you are right, it is more complicated, especially on the new lenses with no aperture adjustment on the lens. I have a 2x Vivitar converter for my old screw mount lenses and a 200mm Super Takumar lens, so 600+ would be easy if I needed it for birding or something. On the same subject, I have not tried it to see how sharp it would be. The 200mm by itself is a very good sharp lenses. I guess I'll have to try it and see. Sarah, one question I have is do you find the 50-200mm to be as sharp or sharper then thekitlens at 50mm?- Bruce :-)
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 3:43 PM   #22

I was surprised when I took both the K100D and the DS out one day. Rather than constantly change lenses, I took a number of scenes with the DS and kit lens at approx. 50mm and the K100D with the DA 50-200 lens set at 50. Then I took other scenes switching the lenses, but didn't take the same scene with the both lenses on the same camera. I personally thought that there wasn't all that much difference between the two lenses as far as sharpness when it came to 50mm. And it seemed like I preferred the colors/something perhaps intangiblethat I got from the kit lens, regardless of which camera took it. You can see the ones I put up here last month at: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...580505#p580505.

If I ever get around to finishing, I took a whole bunch of uninteresting pictures with 4 different lenses and 2 different cameras Sunday. I took them under more or less identical conditions and was more scientific about matching everything between lenses and cameras. My original thought was that the untouched files would be interesting to people but I don't have a place to put them. So I started cropping and resizingbut didn't get all that far. I'm not sure I could find much difference between any of them, and wondered if I had proved anything (other than making my head swim with possible influences). I started to put them on photobucket (which probably compressed them since I wasn't careful about file size) but didn't get very far. If anyone is at all interested in a bunch of boring pictures taken from my back deck, they are at: http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...%20vs%20K100D/. The key to identifying the pictures is the file name - it will identify the camera, the lens, which raw processor used if the original was raw, and then over the picture I say if it is the whole picture resized or a 100% crop. On the pictures I added the shutter speed, f stop and focal length. My list of factors was fairly long - min, f8,max aperture; min, max zoom, raw, jpg, PhotoLab3, ACRetc. I used the kit lens, DA50-200, the Phoenix 100mm macro (not as a macro), and the M 50mm 1.4 lens. If anyone is interested, I'll go back to cropping, resizing and labeling them but otherwise will probably just leave it - about the only thing I came away with is that the Phoenix has the most CA of all 4 lenses.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 4:34 PM   #23

The reason I asked about the 50-200mm is that yesterday I was at our property on Cowiche creek and on a tree limb was a gorgeous mature great horned owl looking straight at me. Of course I had my trusty DL with a 28mm prime on it. Needless to say, what could have been a very nice picture ended up a wide angle shot of the creekwith a small looking owl in it. Let's see, whats the boy scout motto again? - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 7:12 PM   #24

LOL! You probably were as frustrated as I was while driving home admiring the very reddish brown sun hanging above all the smoke (it was very unusual looking), thinking of my camera well out of reach in the very back of the car!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 5:58 PM   #25

Spiritbro77 wrote:
Quote:
I don't think you'll go wrong having a 50mm lens. Id love an FA 50mm 1.4 but can't afford it right now. However I did pick up a new A 50mm f2.0 for about thirty bucks on Ebay a few weeks back. Not as nice Bokeh as the 1.4 or 1.7 but it does take nice pics when I get the focus right I have a Sigma 24-135 coming this week and my next lens purchase will be the auto focus 50mm 1.4.

Pic taken with the A 50mm 2.0 wide open in decent light in a wodded area.

Great pic (and subject - well mostly great subject!!)

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 9:49 PM   #26

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Spiritbro77 wrote:
Quote:
I don't think you'll go wrong having a 50mm lens. Id love an FA 50mm 1.4 but can't afford it right now. However I did pick up a new A 50mm f2.0 for about thirty bucks on Ebay a few weeks back. Not as nice Bokeh as the 1.4 or 1.7 but it does take nice pics when I get the focus right I have a Sigma 24-135 coming this week and my next lens purchase will be the auto focus 50mm 1.4.

Pic taken with the A 50mm 2.0 wide open in decent light in a wodded area.
Quote:

Great pic (and subject - well mostly great subject!!)

Darren

Thanks, and you're right shes a pretty lady. More so, shes pretty on the inside as well. A good friend to have. That was my first photo shoot and considering I'm so new I think it turned out pretty well.

Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote