Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 18, 2006, 1:13 PM   #11

Hello,

I've had my K100D with 18-55mm kit lens for a month now. I've been very impressed with that lens considering it's just a "kit lens." Obviously it does not have the reach of a longer focal length zoom lens. I am planning on getting a sigma 70-300 apo DG lens in the near future for wildlife photography. But in the mean time I think that the 18-55mm kit lens is great lens. Here are some sample shots. For more, you can check out my flickr archive.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/royce10...7594242702790/

Macro

Action

Portrait

Flowers

Night time

Hope that helps.

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 1:15 PM   #12

Quote:
I think I see it now, is it how the sky looks darker on the upper-left and upper-right corners?
That is right: it jumps right at you when compared with similar shots at different focal lengths taken with this lens, 24mm and up.

For wide angle you might need a better lens.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 1:17 PM   #13

Royce, thank you for theimage samples. Those are very beautiful pictures.
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 1:18 PM   #14

DigitalAddict - Thanks for the heads up! Now I have learned something new!
Old Sep 18, 2006, 1:24 PM   #15

There are all kinds of ways to answer this question, and a lot of it depends on the person.

My personal take - the kit lens takes nice pictures, and is a very good value for what they charge for it. I shotsome pictures using the kit lens and the DA 50-200 lens(posted here) using the K100D and the DS, hoping to show a clear superiority of the K100D's jpg processing. Instead, I mainly discovered that I slightly prefered the colorrendering of the kit lens over the 50-200, and there wasn't much difference between the two camera's jpg processing.

Limitations:

1. It is a slow lens (I believe it is something like f3.5at wide angleand f5.6 at full zoom - as I recall, I did a bunch of comparison shots yesterday at wide open and stopped down and with various lenses and with both the DS and K100D and my head is swimming and I'm not sure I discovered anything). If you are taking pictures in good lighting, like outdoors, that won't mean anything as you probably won't need anything faster. If your main interest is non-flash, low-light photography you will definitely want something faster, like a lens capable of f1.4 - f2.8.

2. Focal length - many people will find that 55mm is fine for the pictures they take. However, I wanted more than the 180mm (equivalent) on the Sony F717, so I knew I wanted a longer lens to go with the kit lens. In fact, after taking a bunch of pictures of herons, egrets and Canadian geese recently, I discovered that 200mm isn't long enough telephoto lens!

3. It is not a macro lens - minimum focusing distance and focal length means that you can't take pictures of tiny spiders without them being very small. If you want to take pictures of insects, small flowers etc. then you would need a true macro lens.

If you want to do any of the above, you'll find thatyou'll want something in addition to the kit lens. Ifyou aren't sure, get the kit lens only,take somepictures and then see what you think. Youdon't have to buy everything at once (says someone looking around for a 300mm lens).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 3:15 PM   #16

Hi Harriet,

I noticed that you placed a bid on that A*300/4 (at least I assumed it was you) that eventually went for $811 was it? If that's the case, you might want to e-mail me -- it should be available in my profile.

Scott

Referring to "says someone looking around for a 300mm lens"
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 3:18 PM   #17

Thanks for chiming in Mtngal. What exactly does the 'Fastness' of a lens mean? I understand that a fast lens allows more light, but what exactly makes ita 'Fast' lens? Is a fast lens a lens with a wider diameter piece of glass which will allow for more light to enter which in effect will allow for the camera to be set to a higher shutter speed, thus allowing for the camera to capture a 'fast' moving subject?
Old Sep 18, 2006, 3:56 PM   #18

Hi Contriver,

Not mtngal, but the best answer to your question might be to read "Crashman's" post on shutter speed / aperture / ISO relationships to exposure. It's a long post and can be found about halfway down this page.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=80&page=8

A "fast" lens is generally thought of to have a maximum aperture of between f1.0 (or more practically f1.4) and f2.8 depending on focal length.

Scptt
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote