Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 19, 2006, 7:19 AM   #1

I feel like a total idiot having to ask this, but...

We bought an old Tokina 80-400 ATX f/4.5 lens for birding. However, we have no idea how to set it for autofocus with the K100D. The manual is wildly cryptic and we don't have instructions with the lens. I know it's one of those secret handshake aperture ring things we're supposed to know if we used old K mount lenses before, but regretfully, we have not.

We know the lens is mounted fine because we can manually focus it great, and I set up the menu to recognize the aperture ring or whatever, but other than this we be clueless.

Could someone please walk us through this?

Thanks in advance,

f
fogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2006, 7:35 AM   #2

maybe it's manual focus lens?? if it was AF it should work with autofocus switch in AF position on camera body. as fas as I know thare's nothing in camera menu that would affect autofocus.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 9:15 AM   #3

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
maybe it's manual focus lens?? if it was AF it should work with autofocus switch in AF position on camera body. as fas as I know thare's nothing in camera menu that would affect autofocus.
This is exactly correct. Only other possibility is that the electronics in the lens are not communicating with the body. I had a Sigma 28-70mm AF zoom that came out in the late 1980s or early 90s, it would AF on my MZ-7 but would not on my DL (camera displayed the MF symbol in the viewfinder when the lens was mounted). Just switch the camera to MF in eaither case and it should work.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:55 AM   #4

Hi fogueira,

Neither the Tokina 80-400 AT-X AF or AF II have a focus clutch mechanism, so yours is probably a MF. To make sure, look at the mount. If it's an AF, you'll see the little slotted AF drive screw at @ the 8 o'clock position when the lens is held so the contacts are at the bottom. No screw, then it's MF version. It's seems particularly difficult on this lens to tell the difference from pictures and auction descriptions -- I'm often confused myself (but that's also just my normal state :roll.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 4:49 PM   #5

Details - possibly

http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/r...okina80400.htm

http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Tokina-Z...-for-Pentax-AF

http://www1.epinions.com/elec-Photo-...400mm_f4_5-5_6

It would seem that if it says AF on the lens, then it will autofocus.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote