Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 20, 2006, 3:31 AM   #1

I just bought UK photo magazine and there was K100D review. they baqsically said that it's dl with SR, 6.1 MP is not enough, why no iso lower than 200, that Pentax claims only 2 stops improvement with SR while other claim up to 4, sony alpha has less noise at iso 100 (different price range but who cares), sluggish autofocus, no improvemetn whatsoever to DL except SR, too much sharpening in jpg files. and they gave it 3 out of 5. so why there's so many enthusiastic reviews on the net?

but it's beter than new Panasonic slr which got 2/5.
N D80 got 5/5 and no bad points at all (they really couldn't find anything wrong with this camera?)

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2006, 5:12 AM   #2

Autofocus sluggish? I find it blazingly quick compared to my DS. 6mp's not enough?? Lol. I wouldn't take this too seriously. Like more pixels is the key to a better camera. I would have loved to have seen a 6mp camera with features like the k10d coming out. We need better IQ, not more pixels. Of course, I'm probably in the minority on this.....cheers.....Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 7:54 AM   #3

We are probably getting to a stage when the 'technical' aspects of a camera are being too critically analysed. At this point in digital development it would probably be fair to say that all DSLR's are good and for the average user, any of them would be good
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:33 AM   #4
TC3

Who paid them to trash the K100D? The fact that they say 6.1 mp is not enough....enough for what??? They are talking outta there a## :roll:
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:49 AM   #5

Two years ago everyone was saying 6mp was amazing! Six mega-pixels still looks the same today as it did then (even better because of better sensors). The only difference now is that camera makerskeep cramming more MP on the same size sensors in an effort to win the "numbers game". The K100D is a very capable, reasonably priced, user-friendly camera. I'd rather have a great camera with 6MP than an overly complicated camera with 8 or 10mp, but that's just me.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 9:05 AM   #6

I went from an 8 MP camera I hated to a 6 MP camera I love. Looks like the camera mags are doing their usual thing - many of them have run down every camera that Pentax has come out with. Perhaps if Pentax were to buy 5 pages of advertising, like some larger companies do, it might change their opinion, but maybe not. And maybe that's not such a bad deal - all of the outrageous prices on ebay for used lenses seem to indicate that the consumers have discovered just how good the K100D is. A bit of negative publicity might keep some buyers away, so the price of lenses would drop and those of us with LBA will be able to afford it again...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 9:07 AM   #7

Bravo!!! My feelings exactly. I'm so pleased with the k100, that it is doubtful I'll be upgrading anytime soon. This camera has given me what I wanted in the DS. Faster and more accurate AF and image stabilization. I said earlier in another thread that the IQ will have to be a major leap for me to buy the k10d.....dlk.

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
Two years ago everyone was saying 6mp was amazing! Six mega-pixels still looks the same today as it did then (even better because of better sensors). The only difference now is that camera makerskeep cramming more MP on the same size sensors in an effort to win the "numbers game". The K100D is a very capable, reasonably priced, user-friendly camera. I'd rather have a great camera with 6MP than an overly complicated camera with 8 or 10mp, but that's just me.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:00 AM   #8

Which magazine? That's the problem of many "reviewers" who usually carry out their *reviews* without any measurements and scientific ground. So, afterall it boils down to personal (very) subjective impression. So, just take those laymen reviews as grains of plenty salts - My Humble Opinion.

If you wish to see a test report with measurement on the K100D as the supporting ground, see mine ;-D
-> http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/K1...ll_Review.html

You will see a difference! I guarantee! Also, you will learn that a K100D is basically not a DL and that many things have been improved/debugged.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
I just bought UK photo magazine and there was K100D review. they baqsically said that it's dl with SR, 6.1 MP is not enough, why no iso lower than 200, that Pentax claims only 2 stops improvement with SR while other claim up to 4, sony alpha has less noise at iso 100 (different price range but who cares), sluggish autofocus, no improvemetn whatsoever to DL except SR, too much sharpening in jpg files. and they gave it 3 out of 5. so why there's so many enthusiastic reviews on the net?

but it's beter than new Panasonic slr which got 2/5.
N D80 got 5/5 and no bad points at all (they really couldn't find anything wrong with this camera?)

greg
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 6:24 PM   #9

I think they forgot it's entry level SLR which is supopse to compete with C 350 and N D50, instead they compared iso to sony alpha which is 50% more expensive. a little unfair if you ask me. in the same issue they wrote that Sony alpha is supposed to compete with N D80.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 7:40 AM   #10

I second that . A lot of magazine consider a positive review a great marketing tool for the merchandise under review. Thus it can charge a higher premium than regular ad (nobody read and nobody care). You do not pay up you do not get the positive review space-very logical.
You try to look at car magazine and you do not see anything negative about lemon at all particularly big ad clients.

Daniel

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps if Pentax were to buy 5 pages of advertising, like some larger companies do, it might change their opinion, but maybe not.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote