Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 21, 2006, 8:02 AM   #11

I am using theK100D and my DSwith the Sigma Flash very successfully. If cost is a factor, and all you want is more range, a slave flash will save you a lot of money, and it is triggered by the camera's built-in flash.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 6:30 PM   #12

Sarah, what I was hoping for was full P-TTL functionality without having the flash mounted on the camera, apparently I have the wrong camera.:sad:

Now I am thinking about cable connections, how clunky!

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:54 PM   #13

Sorry, John-

As I understand it, the AF-360fgz is suppossed to become the master flash and it is camwra mounted.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:22 PM   #14

Right camera just one flash short so to speak. The good news is you have regular TTL available (not just p-TTL) so you can use the relatively cheap and easy to get off camera flash cord. Other than that it Pentax 4p or 5p parts... I use a 4p 5m (the length is quite annoying) cable and the pentax hot shoe grip to get my flash away from my body
They were cheap at the time but are currently quite hard to find at a good price. 5p products are still madeand available at 40-80 per part and you'd need more than 1 part
http://www.promaster.com
Look under products/flash/accessories-cords
They may do p-ttl, I'm not sure. As to wireless (without another flash mounted on the hot shoe)only the D has that and currently even the K10 is without it..........

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:10 AM   #15

The Promaster will retain full P-TTL communication with the flash, but it's only 3 ft long. I've seen them on ebay for $50 BIN.

If you need longer, then the better alternative is to go with the Pentax stuff. I have the Promaster cord, and have other flashes that have optical slave capability, so I don't need more separation.

If you go with the Pentax stuff, you'll need an Hot shoe Adapter FG to go in the hot shoe, an F5PL 9.5 ft cord (or F5P 3' cord), and a Hot shoe Adapter F. Cost in the US is @$85-105 USD depending on the cord. They are not commonly available IIRC. I have seen them both at KEH and on ebay for less $$.

I realize that this is not what you wanted, however, it 's the only way to get the setup that you had envisioned without buying another expensive flash or a D body.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 5:42 AM   #16

Thanks, I would be interested in the Promaster cable but the challenge might be finding a local (New Zealand) dealer as they dont seem to be offering international sales on that web site.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:05 PM   #17

oreo57 wrote:
Quote:
The good news is you have regular TTL available (not just p-TTL) so you can use the relatively cheap and easy to get off camera flash cord.
this is incorrect... to maintain TTL function you will HAVE to have the 5P connections. a simple 2 wire connection will not provide auto function.. promaster does have a cord with connections for 50usd. the connections and 3 meter cord i use sells for 108usd at B&H the last time i checked..

roy
Old Sep 24, 2006, 3:13 PM   #18

i feel for you as i had the EXACT same reaction when i finally got my 360 and read thru the manual (what a pleasure that was ); what a rip (i thought). i was even thinking about 'upgrading' to the istD from my DS for this and other features, i've come to really appreciate what a great camera the D is.

in anycase, does anyone know if anyone has done a diy 4or 5p cable for pentax flashes? i'm pretty amazed by all the other diy stuff for remotes, reversing rings, diffusers... wondering if anyone has made their own foff camera flash cables or is it too tricky?

John Hill wrote:
Quote:
I would not have thought there would be much higher authority than the manual that came with the camera, the one that says "wireless" "yes". To say 'yes' then on another page say 'but buy two flash units' is hardly going to enhance my enthusiasm for things Pentaxical.

Now it looks like I must resort to a cable if I want full P-TTL functionality without theflash being perched on top of the camera.:X
ardigitalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 3:42 PM   #19

I am planning how to make a cable, it may not look pretty and I am not sure if I can actually do it but the concept is still running around in my head.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 3:48 PM   #20

it should not be hard BUT you will have to find the plugs. i can send you a pic or measure for you but that's about all.

roy