Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:50 PM   #21

I just realized that *istDL would not support wireless flash with the built in flash and an external unit. However, it is very interesting to find out that 2 Sigma EF-500 DG Super, one with a Pentax mount and one with a Sigma mount can be used as the master and slave, respectively. I have the flash with sigma mount because I have the SA-7 and SA-9. It wouldn't be surprised now if I can use the combination of flashes with the sigma camera. Oh well, now I don't feel too bad for having the same flash with different mounts.
TimGWU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 2:04 PM   #22

I queried Promaster's "FlashExpert" about their #8179 hot shoe adapter extension cord (Pentax model) and got this reply:

The Promaster Off Camera TTL flash extension cord for Pentax #8179

will support P-TTL with flash units that are also P-TTL compayible.

In a follow-up,Flashexpert added:

I would not stretch the cable beyond 2 ft. and make sure that the cord
is not pulled at hard angles where they connect to the end modules.
Although this off camera cord is heavier and reinforced at this point
better that most it can also break connection at these points lf stretched
beyoud its means or pulled at sharp angles.
ThreeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 2:10 PM   #23

For use with my Pentax K100D and Sigma 500 DG Super, I'm considering "kit-bashing" a Promaster 8179 hot shoe extension for Pentax (which has a short, coiled cable) by cutting the cable near the remote hot-shoe end and splicing it back together with a five-pin jack and a five-pin plug (DIN?). Then I could make up a five-wire "extension for the extension" with the same plug and jack combo, which could be spliced into that point. Much cheaper than the Pentax option (three pieces totaling >$100) , and with the flexibility of only using the 2-3' original Promaster length.

Opinions? Anything tricky about the specs for the five-wire cable? Any 5-pin jack/plug types to recommend?

Thanks,

Duane \
Old Jan 5, 2007, 3:16 PM   #24

i'd think that would work fine.. you could use cat5 cable and plugs of telephone wire and plugs. i was going to do this with judt the internal flash bulb but shorted out the wires in the process.. by-bye $10 vivitar TTL flash.

roy
Old Jan 5, 2007, 7:23 PM   #25

The promaster off camera cord is available for Pentax with full functionality
http://www.promaster.com/products/pr...roduct=TTLCORD
Looking at the picture it seems to have ALL the contacts required for P-TTL. I have spoken to someone on this forum who has a promaster with their pentax and it works correclty, I have the Penatx off camera cord with the 5p connections and purchased it after I bought an old version off camera cord that only had two contacts. Yes it fired the flash, but no TTL at all.

It is available on the ebay, this is for the Nikon, but they say they can get them for Pentax too and they will ship outside the US
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PROMASTER-OFF...QQcmdZViewItem

The other option is an optical slave trigger
http://search.ebay.com/optical-slave...r_W0QQfromZR40

or radio slaves, which are quite cheap
http://photography.listings.ebay.com...istingItemList

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 2:32 PM   #26

Thanks to Crashman for pointing out how inexpensive optical or wireless slave controllers can be.

At bhphotovideo.com, there's a digital slave controller, Wein W940030D, that's supposed to not trip on digital cameras' pre-flashes. Much more expensive (~$70).

Does anyone know how it does with P-TTL. (My camera is the K100D).

Thanks,

Duane
Old Jan 7, 2007, 3:34 PM   #27

hello everyone. have been watching this thread for a while and was happy that it has resurfaced. i too was misled (by myself mainly) in purchasing a pentax 360 flash into thinking it would be able to work wirelessly with a ds. was wondering if someone could give me an opinion on the following item.

would the following auction item:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...;rd=1&rd=1

allow wireless operation between a DS and pentax 360flash? I also have a Sigma EF Super (non DG model) so would like to use that in a 2flash wireless setup. I am hoping this auction would allow me to do so.

anyone have any experience with this item? does it do what is says its supposed to? what are your opinions on it? it looks like a professional unit. I'm hoping it will allow pttl use but there is no mention of that so maybe at the minimum ttl operation of both flashes?

Thanks for any input
ardigitalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 4:53 PM   #28

Hi Duane and ardigitalman,

Wireless operation with P-TTL metering capability is dependent on IR communication between the master and slave via a very quick series of preflashes IIRC. That's why it requires a second wireless P-TTL capable flash as a master (only the *ist D is set up to do this with the onboard flash thus far -- there are rumors that the K10 might be able to it with a firmware fix, but as of now, it's supposed to interfere with SR).

Any accessory slave triggers RF or IR will not have this capability -- or if it did, I would assume that it would be prominent in their specs. So the answer is no -- remote flash TTL metering will not be possible with these. Any such slave use will unfortunately be manual.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:18 AM   #29

B&H is now listing a Speedotron DS-1 slave trigger that claims to handle digital cameras with preflash. If anyone tries it with a Pentax P-TTL camera (using pop-up flash, or a Pentax-brand flash, or a Sigma 500 DG Super as master), please let us know how you fared by posting to this site. (Speedotron tech support was vague about whether it was going to work, suggested asking vendor to try it with a Pentax.)

Thanks,

Duane
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:14 PM   #30

How can P-TTL metering work correctly unless the flash knows exactly how far it is from the subject? The flash focuses the beam and sets intensity based on the focal length and focus point of the lens. Once you move the flash off camera all bets are off and you are going to need to set the flash parameters manually.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote