Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:45 AM   #1

I'm interested in wireless flash for family portraits - after seeing a Nikon video on small flash photograpy - and would appreciate others users recommendations on the type/make of flash, the number of flash units to use, and how best to set up the flashes.

I've just bought a Samsung GX-1S from Jessops (£400 for camera and kit lens, 50-200, and gadget bag) A great deal.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

John

jmvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2006, 12:36 PM   #2

John-

The most inexpensive way to create your portrait flash set-up is to use some inexpensive slave flashes.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 3:43 PM   #3

Hi John,

I think that Sarah is correct. The only way that you'll get wireless remote with the GX-1S is with at least 2 wireless compatible P-TTL flashes, which, if I recall the features of the models available, would cost a minimum of around $450 USD. You can get the same or simlar results for a lot less with the onboard flash and a couple of inexpensive digital compatible slaves. It might take a little more experimentation, but studio photographers have been doing the same for quite a long time before the advent of the new high tech flashes.

The new stuff is usually a bit easier to use, but it will almost always cost a bunch, and might not be worth it for the amount of use you'll be aqble to put it to.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 9:58 PM   #4

Scott-

I believe that you could easily use either the Bower SFDS models or the Vivitar DF-200 for a total cost of around $100 and get it to work nicely. The DF-200 also offers full tilt and swivel functionality as well.

MT/Sarah
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:29 PM   #5

mtn/sarah wrote:

"I believe that you could easily use either the Bower SFDS models or the Vivitar DF-200 for a total cost of around $100 and get it to work nicely. The DF-200 also offers full tilt and swivel functionality as well."

There are also units from Digislave and Phoenix that offer tile/swivel. Sunpack has a smaller unit that doesn't. Wein also makes the 940030D ($70 at B&H) which is designed to fire off the second flash, and you can choose virtually any used autoo thyristor flash to use with it.

I wasn't contradicting you Sarah, I was just presenting the alternatives (and why they probably wouldn't be practical)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 4:06 AM   #6

Thanks for all your comments. Very much appreciated!
jmvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:11 PM   #7

No offence taken at all, Scott-

I do want to note that I would really stay away from Digi-Slave. I have have had outright failures and an unwillingness to abide by their warranty. The Sunpak DS-20 is total rubbish as it has a very, very narrow acceptance angle. I personally always carry the Bower with me, it is small, it ignores preflashes, and very dependible indeed.

MT/Sarah