Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 21, 2006, 12:01 AM   #1

For those that haven't seen this, its making the rounds over atDpreview and it looks like we have some interesting stuff to save our pennies for. I know they are opening there new lens plant in October, so this may lead to good things for all of us- Bruce

http://www.digital.pentax.co.jp/en/lens/roadmap.pdf
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:03 AM   #2

Interesting stuff. I wouldliked to have seensomething in the 400mm range, but I guess that'll be later...Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 6:36 AM   #3

what ticks me off is that the 3 new zooms are DA only and do not come with an aperture ring. i. too, would rather see some nice primes on the list..

roy
Old Sep 21, 2006, 7:53 AM   #4

Roy,

I second that. I have the hunch that they are really not cheap to make and also the economy of scale is not ideal. And it is not commercially sensible to make.

Daniel

robar wrote:
Quote:
what ticks me off is that the 3 new zooms are DA only and do not come with an aperture ring. i. too, would rather see some nice primes on the list..

roy
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 8:18 AM   #5

if they made that 16-50mm a new kit option for the k10D i'd be extremely happy!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 8:36 AM   #6

I am not happy about the trend to make lenses without an aperture ring, and find it hard to fork out almost twice the cost of the camera body for a lens I can't manually adjust the f/stop on.

Pentax isn't the only company doing this, as I see Nikon also is making new lenses without an aperture ring. There is a manual setting on all these cameras which is difficult to use without being able to adjust the f/stop.

For what they are charging for these lenses (or will charge), it seems they could put a aperture ring on them.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:32 AM   #7

Roy & Tom - My take on it is Pentax has decided that now we have aperture control built into the camera, we don't need it on the lens anymore. Just one more thing to change the way we are use to doing things. Intead of using my left hand to turn the lens ring, I now have touse my right thumb to turn the camera wheel. I guess it will remain to be seen if this is progress. As I get older I'm having a hard time convincing my self the new way is better. Next thing you know the camera will decide if it wants to take a picture or not of the subject .....bummer- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:59 AM   #8

Even on the DS, which only has one thumb wheel, I have stopped using the aperture ring. I still use the ring when I use my M and older lenses obviously so it isn't as if I'm opposed to it. I find using the thumb wheel more convenient.

When (not if) I get the 10D, it will be even better having more fingertip controls on the body.

RG
Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:43 AM   #9

It is far easier when in M mode to turn the f/stop wheel to where you want it, and it will always be there, not dependent on some electronics inside the camera. I can also then use the lens on my film cameras, which you can't do with the new lenses.

If I am going to spend that kind of money on a lens, I want it to work on all my cameras (backward compatibility??), not just a computer run one.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:50 AM   #10

Hi All,

I've thought about the "no focus ring" thing quite a bit, and can accept the elimination of the aperture ring. I now never use it, and only seek and use A series capable lenses or later to make full use of the available exposure automation. I assume the great majority of users just set up their (A or better) ring equipped lenses on "A" and leave it there also. The jog wheels are a lot more convenient. I understand that there are applications where aperture rings are necessary, such as reverse mounting, but I don't use my lenses in those ways, so it's irrelevant to me. I also realize that the interface could malfunction, causing problems controlling aperture, but haven't seen any problems like that crop up -- but I have heard of stuck aperture rings (little broken leaf springs), so I don't think that reliability can be touted as an argument for the rings. Also, the overhang of the pentaprism/flash makes using the aperture ring inconvenient at best, and impossible on some lenses because of larger lens diameter.

Realize here that I'm not advocating aperture ring elimination, but for my use, they are superfluous.

What I don't want to see is the adoption of "focus by wire" as in the Oly DSLRs. That would be a major mistake IMO, and I hope to never see it in a Pentax camera or lens.

BTW, I also don't have an objection to designing lenses for the APS-C image circle. I'm perfectly happy with the format, and don't see economically feasible FF 35mm sensors in my future plans -- I don't think that the demand will ever prompt production numbers that will allow them to become "cheap", and I'm very satisfied with APS-C's quality/performance ratio as it exists. Of course better quality would be nice, but as a hobbyist with no higher asperations, I'm good here also. It's kinda like the film days where I chose to stick with 35mm. Better quality was available with Medium Format, 4x5, and 8x10. 35mm was a compromise in quality, but one that I could easily accept, considering cost and portability. I feel the same way about APS-C now.

I'm all for keeping traditionalist values for features, but only if they work for me now. I've shot film SLRs for almost 40 years, and they definitely worked for me. . . then. I thought the advent of AF was "gimicky", and detracted from the photographic experience because manual focus rings lost their "feel" and the new lenses looked and felt cheap in comparison. I also lamented the decline of the split prism focus screen, but with effective AF, they only got in the way (I actually use a Katzeye on my DS, but rarely use the split prism to focus -- the rest of the screen is, however easier to focus with than the Pentax-supplied ones. If I had it to do over, I'd opt for a custom prismless Katzeye, and will do so for the K10D if the screen is the same as the original DS screen). I did, however, appreciate "Program" features, integrating the meter with aperture and shutter speed selection into an automated exposure system, especially because it can be overridden by Ev compensation and/or Hyper Program so I can retain control.

Looking at the 2007 Lens Roadmap, I am a little concerned with the new lens designations, feeling that they might be a little short-sighted using the * now to indicate weather sealed and SSM capable mount. What are they going to do with the DFA 200 and 300? My assumption would be that they would carry through with the same optical design of the FA*200/2.8 and the FA*300/4.5 as they are exemplary lenses, and it would cost them virtually nothing to coat the rear element to make them "digitally optimized". Do they then loose their well deserved * status because they aren't weather sealed and/or SSM capable? Maybe a "*-" or they could consider "DA**" for the new sealed/SSM lenses?

I know. . .that is really nitpicky . . .:roll:

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote