Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 21, 2006, 7:42 PM   #1

The samsung seems to be coming first (October) & might take a chunk of people waiting for the k10D?

Ur ideas?
Chesslanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2006, 9:51 PM   #2

That indeed is a possibility, as both cameras have essential the same features. Perhaps Samsung is the big $$ person in that partnership??

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:47 AM   #3

I had thought that Pentax wears the pants since they got to do the press release a week or so earlier. Something about their collaboration annoys me; why would pentax let samsung essentially just clone their cameras? I think it hurts pentax's image: they produce a camera with all these wonderful intelligent features (K10D) and a week later, oh, samsung's got one too. I would think samsung is really helping them out in some unseen way for pentax to allow this.
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:02 PM   #4

In many parts of the world, Samsung has better brand recognition. This way they can get K-mount cameras into more parts of the world.

I'm sure much of the electronics inside were supplied by Samsung, and I wouldn't be surprised in the future to see a Samsung sourced Sensor.

What is really interesting, is that Samsung and Sony are bitter rivals, yet Samsung is selling cameras with Sony silicon inside
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:02 PM   #5

I think that your assumption that Samsung is underwriting Pentax financially is most probably a correct one. As I noted above as well, it may also be a way for Pentax to get away from that Sony 10mp CMOS imager by using a Samsung 10mp imager. So perhaps they are both benefiting. After all they do market is somewhat different geographical areas of the world.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 2:17 PM   #6

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I think that your assumption that Samsung is underwriting Pentax financially is most probably a correct one. As I noted above as well, it may also be a way for Pentax to get away from that Sony 10mp CMOS imager by using a Samsung 10mp imager. So perhaps they are both benefiting. After all they do market is somewhat different geographical areas of the world.

MT/Sarah
i agree, i dont see how they could offer such a nice camera in the gx-10 or k10d without getting together on all fronts - tech/sensor/optics and overall cost. especially with features like weather proofing that doesn't come on dSLR until a Much Higher price-point.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 2:55 PM   #7

Has anyone seen info on the GX-10 if it also has the 22bit DA converter. Perhaps this and the processing engine along with the body casing may be the only differences.*
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 3:00 PM   #8

The other Samsung DSLR's have been the same as the Pentax models, but the buttons are different for some reason.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 4:03 PM   #9

I believe the correct response is "Six of one and a half dozen of the other."

I would prefer the Pentax name on the front (it would match my other cameras BTW) but would be just as happy with either. I have no prejudice against Samsung, their products are usually of decent quality, so I have no problem with their name on the camera.
Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 8:18 PM   #10

the brand recognition thing is absolutely a point i can relate to. Samsung is very big here in china as oposed to pentax. I like their little jointventure, two seroius companies giving the rest of the marketsome competition.As a nikon owner , i´m a bit disappointed to see that almost all the innovation seems to be coming from other players in the market.

And here i am stuck with the F-mount.
monx is offline   Reply With Quote