Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 22, 2006, 6:30 AM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

With all the chatter about the Pentax 300 mm telephoto lens and without a doubt the excellent pictures posted on this forum, I was shopping around for one. Only problem was what I saw was priced in the eye popping$4000-$5000 range :O:O!This was for a brand new lens from B&H.

Am I looking at the wrong lens, or is that what it takes, or am I simply too cheap to be in this hobby!!! J
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2006, 7:43 AM   #2

My guess would be that you're looking at the f2.8 variant of the 300mm lens. Whilst this would be a great lens to have the one that is being most often refered to here is the f4 variant in its various guises through purely manual to auto-focus.

It just happens to have the small advantage that it can be handheld (even more so with shake reduction I would assume). I can't see anyone succesfully getting away with hand holding the f2.8 variant, but then again maybe the K10 will make even that a possibility.

Dom
dms25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 7:58 AM   #3

I think you refer to FA*30mm 2.8 which is a monster and which is still available brand new on sp order.
A lot of forum members manage to have F or FA*30mm 4.5 or A*300mm F4 all of which are small and handholdable enough.
So what you said was yes and no.
Tough for Pentaxians when it comes to teleprimes.

Daniel
jelpee wrote:
Quote:
With all the chatter about the Pentax 300 mm telephoto lens and without a doubt the excellent pictures posted on this forum, I was shopping around for one.¬* Only problem was what I saw was priced in the eye popping¬*$4000-$5000 range :O:O!This was for a brand new lens from B&H.

Am I looking at the wrong lens, or is that what it takes, or am I simply too cheap to be in this hobby!!!¬* J
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 8:16 AM   #4

To add a bit - the f4 versions aren't made any more so they are only available on the resale market. They are getting harder and harder to find and the prices on ebay have gone through the roof (look at what the 2 sold for last weekend). I've seen one at KEH recently (sold in a day), and a couple of non * versions have been for sale at B&H's used equipment section.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 8:21 AM   #5

The 2.8 version is extemely large and heavy, and in my opinion not quite as sharp as the FA* or F* 4.5 version, which is no longer made by Pentax. The A* version is next for sharpnes and then the M*, both of which are slightly heavier than the F*/FA* versions and are not AF.

The FA* will run you around $700-$1,000 used if it is in like new condition, but is a great lens, extremely sharp and light enough to hand hold all day long. All the great * glass is expensive due to the new DSLR's Pentax has come out with in the last year and very hard to find, but not impossible.

Hopefully the new lens line will take some of the pressure off the used market, but that won't be until 2007 sometime.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:25 AM   #6

i recently got to handle the 300mm f2.8.. was it pretty?? i was drooling.. problem was i doubt you could handhold it. it's about 5-6'' across and about 12-13'' long and weighs probably4-5 pounds. i have problems shooting at 300 with my A300 f4 and with the sigma 70-300 at f5.6..