Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 22, 2006, 4:11 PM   #1

Hi All,

It was raining on and off and generally pretty dark here Tuesday, so I removed my normal 1.7x TC and just had the FA*300/4.5 with me just in case. I was in the city helping my mom take a bunch of stuff for donation to a rummage sale, and heard a cheeping in a small tree near her house. I spotted this little guy and went back to the car to grab the DS. Took some shots with the available light, then popped up the onboard flash for a some more because the shutter speed was pretty slow. I should have stopped down some for the flash shots, and lowered the ISO, but I'm always smarter when hindsighting. . . :O

No flash, ISO 1600, 1/125, f4.5

Internal flash, ISO 1600, 1/180, f4.5

Internal flash, ISO 1600, 1/180, f4,5

All handheld, unsupported, from @ 12-15 feet away. The originals are much better. You can actually see some fine feather detail, even on a couple of the available light shots where I didn't screw up wih camera shake. -- can't wait for November to come. . .

BTW, i personally like the flash shots, despite the intervening branches. The little glint in the eyes makes a significant difference IMO to add life to the bird. Who woulda thunk it -- internal flash as an aid to birding? :lol:

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2006, 7:33 PM   #2

very nice scott
the FA* is definately on my acquire list but so is the k10d.

roy
Old Sep 22, 2006, 7:53 PM   #3

Scott,

You have really steady hands. You just demonstrated what can be done with a long tele (300mmx1.7x1.5) . Amazing.

Daniel

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,

It was raining on and off and generally pretty dark here Tuesday, so I removed my normal 1.7x TC and just had the FA*300/4.5 with me just in case. I was in the city helping my mom take a bunch of stuff for donation to a rummage sale, and heard a cheeping in a small tree near her house. I spotted this little guy and went back to the car to grab the DS. Took some shots with the available light, then popped up the onboard flash for a some more because the shutter speed was pretty slow. I should have stopped down some for the flash shots, and lowered the ISO, but I'm always smarter when hindsighting. . . :O

Internal flash, ISO 1600, 1/180, f4.5

Internal flash, ISO 1600, 1/180, f4,5

All handheld, unsupported, from @ 12-15 feet away. The originals are much better. You can actually see some fine feather detail, even on a couple of the available light shots where I didn't screw up wih camera shake. -- can't wait for November to come. . .

BTW, i personally like the flash shots, despite the intervening branches. The little glint in the eyes makes a significant difference IMO to add life to the bird. Who woulda thunk it -- internal flash as an aid to birding? :lol:

Scott
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 8:05 PM   #4

Scott-

Wonderful; photos. Thanks for posting.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:38 PM   #5

Scot - Baby birds are so cute! I love these pictures, and to hand-hold a 300mm lens with the DS at those shutter speeds is awesome. Now that I have my own 300mm lens with the K100D, I have a real appreciation of your abilities.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 10:31 PM   #6

Great shots. The detail that lens can grab is amazing. If only it did not cost more than my last vehicle.
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 1:25 AM   #7

Thanks Guys, your kind words make it worth posting.

Roy -- I just saw a post on another forum from a guy in Maine who preordered a K10D and the dealer told him to expect it early next month. I'll, of course believe it when I see it, but it might get here sooner than expected.:-)

I'll still want to see some high ISO jpeg samples before ordering one tho, but I'm pretty sure it's my next body.

Daniel -- I'm not really that steady -- I just apply everything I learned in college in the late '60s to minimize camera shake -- and cheat as much as modern technology and the situation will allow. . .and whenever possible. I've got quite a few shots of this bird showing the back of it's head, for example -- you guys just see the good stuff.

Sarah -- Thanks!

Harriet -- I know that you'll get the hang of using that A*300 quickly. It definitely takes some practice, and the closer you can get, the better (obviously up to a point).

Nonentity1 -- There are some excellent older MF 300 and up lenses out there that might fit the bill (and not cost you a suitcase full of them :-)). I'd look for some of the better mirror lenses like the Tamron Adaptall II SP 350/5.6 Cator the SP 500/8 Cat, or even the std optic 300/5.6 Mdl 54B. The Catsare tiny and light, but sometimes exhibit the infamous "donut bokeh" which is why they are currrently out of favor. This can be either avoided with some experience, dealt with using PP, or ignored, since the only people who seem to notice are more advanced photographers who look for that kind of stuff. It's either that, save up the pennies, or sell your car (:-))since Pentax has already announced the new DFA 300, and I have to think that they will use the same optical formula as the FA*, since it's not too shabby:-). It'll most likely be pricey, but maybe not as high as the F* and FA* 300s have been going for on ebay because the FA*300/4.5 last retailed for $799 IIRC, and the new expanded lens facility and some new mfg methods might actually make it cheaper to produce. We can always hope. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:30 PM   #8

Hello Scott,

Is there any chance you could supply me with a link to that lens ( FA*300/4.5), I've looked all over and the only thing similar I found goes for about $125 and that can't be right! I hope it's not a prime? I am very seriously considering purchasing the K10D myself, just awaiting the rave reviews and sample images :-). Are there any other long zooms you can reccomend, not primes? I currently use my Panny FZ30 with a Nikon 1.7 TC, and thats the kind of reach I'd like to get with the Pentax! Actually, if you have the time, I'd really like a recomendation on a macro and mid range, all around too. I've never owned a SLR but think I'm ready to take the plunge! Excellent birdies BTW!

Wayne
waynespixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 11:19 PM   #9

Scott,

Don't you just love the FA* 300mm lens?

I have had mine since I first got my PZ-1, when I bought them both new. I would hope the prices on this lens will drop on the used market when the new version comes out, so the price won't be far above what I paid for mine new.

Anyway, very nice shots, with a very nice lens.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:33 AM   #10

waynespixels wrote:
Quote:
Is there any chance you could supply me with a link to that lens ( FA*300/4.5 ), I've looked all over and the only thing similar I found goes for about $125 and that can't be right! I hope it's not a prime?
This is one of those Pentax lenses that some members have, and ther rest of us lie sleepless at night yearning for. It's a prime lens in the Pentax pro-line, count on 1000 USD if you find one (used) on e-bay.

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote