Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 23, 2006, 3:48 PM   #11

I think I would be afraid of the pressure an air tank would possible have in it. You want pretty low pressure like a hand blower or foot pump puts out. In fact you don't want to press on the foot blower to hard as it can put out to much air. Blowing is only going to remove dust that is setting on the sensor. If it is sticking and stuck to the sensor, you will need to do an actual cleaning. The thing is maybe 9 times out of 10,the only thing you need to do is blow off the sensor.

Have the camera pointed down, so anything it dislodges can naturally fall down and out of the camera. You could even put your camera on a tripod and point it down, that way you have two hands to work with. Also, be sure you don't accidently touch the sensor with the blowing device. In other words, don't stick the nozzle inside the camera. If you decide to clean the sensor like in the link I gave, be sure the pec-pad is moist. Do not run a dry pec-pad across the sensor. Dirt is the price we pay for having interchangable lenses - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 4:18 PM   #12

OK....I tried blowing the dust off. No luck. The spot is still there. It didn't budge at all, so I guess it's something kinda "stuck" to it. Looks like I will have to try the "wet" cleaning method with ether and a pec-pad. I'll probably have a hard time even finding that stuff around here. We don't have any actual camera shops in this immediate area. All we have are department stores like Wal-Mart, Sears...etc. I'll have toorder it on-line or drive to another area. Man I wish the blower had worked.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 5:10 PM   #13

I bought sensor wand and cleaning supplies from micro-tools.com. Includes lint free pads and fast evaporating cleaning solution to use with the wand. Have cleaned my DS many times and already cleaned my K100D once. Not too difficult and really works, removing stubborn spots and removing dustfrom sensor chamber.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 8:52 PM   #14

snooked wrote:
Quote:
I bought sensor wand and cleaning supplies from micro-tools.com. Includes lint free pads and fast evaporating cleaning solution to use with the wand. Have cleaned my DS many times and already cleaned my K100D once. Not too difficult and really works, removing stubborn spots and removing dustfrom sensor chamber.
I'll check it out . Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2006, 6:29 AM   #15

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
I just got done transfering a few shots from my new K100D to my PC when I noticed a little dark circle in my pics! It's in the same exact spot in every picture. I tried cleaning my lens (both ends) and it's still there. I guess my next step in to try to clean the sensor, but I have no idea how. I assume you don't use a standard lens cleaning kit...right? I'm scared to even try it. Man, this stinks. The camera is only 4 days old and I've never had the lens off the body except for the few seconds it took to install it the day I got it. Any tips before I ruin my new camera?
Given that you've just bought the K100D& the offending spot was there from day 1, have you considered returning it to the dealer either for a replacement or for them to do this for you; that way if there's more of a problem than just a spot i.e. dodgy sensor, then you should be able to resolve it on the spot - no pun intended.

I appreciate that ultimately, dust will deposit itself on the sensor & eventually everyone will have to resort to using the 'wet method' to clean it, but it's tad annoying on a new camera.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 1:13 PM   #16

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
Given that you've just bought the K100D& the offending spot was there from day 1, have you considered returning it to the dealer either for a replacement or for them to do this for you; that way if there's more of a problem than just a spot i.e. dodgy sensor, then you should be able to resolve it on the spot - no pun intended.
I bought the camera on-line. The only place anywhere near me that sells the K100D is Ritz Camera, and they want $699. I got it for $587. I saved $113 dollars and they are an "Authorized Pentax Dealer" so theres no issue with warranty. I suppose I could check with them to see if they would be willing to give me another camera, but I doubt I need to go that far. From what everyone has said here, it sounds like a dirty sensor is going to happen sooner or later (and more than once). I'm just very nervous about cleaning it for the first time.

Realted question....Do you guys use Pec-Pads wrapped around a spatula, or do you use the "Sensor Swabs"? They claim the swabs are better, but those things are $3 each and are a one-time use only!
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:57 AM   #17

Pec Pad around a spatula is fairly easy and quick to do...no need to buy the pre-made swabs. Check out Nicholas' very thorough explanations at his Copperhill cleaning site at http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning.

I've used the Pec-Pad-wrapped-on-a-spatula technique, with Eclipse fluid, several times on my DS2 and it works well. I clean, remount my lens, and immediately take another test photo and check right then on my computer monitor. That way, if I didn't get the spots I'm after (or new ones appear, or they move around, which has happened to me), everything's still there in front of me and I just do it again.

I also use his SensorSweep brush as an alternative to blowing, and that will sometimes clean my sensor enough to avoid a wet swabbing.

Don't panic - it seems daunting at first, but isn't very hard.

Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 10:35 AM   #18

Thanks Dan. I appreciate that information. Looks like I'll be trying it as soon as my supplies arrive.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 3:00 PM   #19

There has been a new devlopment. I returned the camera for a replacement. Although I'm 99% sure the spot was a simple spec of dust on the sensor, it bothers me that it was there from day one. It also bothers me that it didn't budge when I used the air puffer. Sure, I could order a "wet" cleaning kit and probably get it off. But by the time the cleaning kit would arrive and I'd try it, if it didn't work for some reason, it would be past the grace period to return the camera. Beach Camera was really nice about it. I called and explained the situation. They said, "No problem. Just return it and well ship out a new one."
I know I'm going to get dust on the sensor. I also know that sooner or later I will have to do a "wet" cleaning. I just didn't want to do it on a brand new camera.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 3:28 PM   #20

All in all It was best that you returned it. In the meantime Checkout the link Dan gave you To Copperhill. They have a great cleaning kit and Great instructions.

BK/Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote