Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 25, 2006, 3:37 PM   #21

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
All in all It was best that you returned it. In the meantime Checkout the link Dan gave you To Copperhill. They have a great cleaning kit and Great instructions.

BK/Phil
I will....thanks.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 4:58 PM   #22

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
I bought the camera on-line. The only place anywhere near me that sells the K100D is Ritz Camera, and they want $699. I got it for $587. I saved $113 dollars and they are an "Authorized Pentax Dealer" so theres no issue with warranty. I suppose I could check with them to see if they would be willing to give me another camera, but I doubt I need to go that far. From what everyone has said here, it sounds like a dirty sensor is going to happen sooner or later (and more than once). I'm just very nervous about cleaning it for the first time.

Realted question....Do you guys use Pec-Pads wrapped around a spatula, or do you use the "Sensor Swabs"? They claim the swabs are better, but those things are $3 each and are a one-time use only!

You do realize the irony in your post, don't you? :-) You talk about spending $587 for a camera body, but then balk at paying $3 to clean it. Of course, I'm the same way.

I just haven't had to do more than blow my camera out. I'd recommend the Giotto Rocketblower for blowing. I would definitely NOT recommend your refillable can. The pressure will probably be too great, and the inside of the tank probably has junk bouncing around in it. You'd just be shooting it into your nice new camera.

Good luck, and have fun with your new camera. Don't worry about dust bunnies. Everyone gets them and everyone learns how to deal with them. IMHO, it's a small price to pay for the great pictures you can get with the dSLR.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 6:17 PM   #23

rfortson wrote:
Quote:
You do realize the irony in your post, don't you? :-) You talk about spending $587 for a camera body, but then balk at paying $3 to clean it. Of course, I'm the same way.
Yeah...you're right! :lol: But the problem is that you can't buy them one at a time. You have to buy a box of 12 for $36. I'm going to get a rocket blower too.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 9:03 AM   #24

Think you made the right decision. I had dust on my sensor from day one, but it blew out easily. If it hadn't then I probably would have been visiting the camera shop where I bought it (got it locally) and asking for them to at least clean it for free. In your case, you weren't sure whether it was dust or not, and were in a time crunch.

Speaking of dust, I've got a couple ofnew spots I noticed yesterday - better do something about that today.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 9:17 AM   #25

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
I just got done transfering a few shots from my new K100D to my PC when I noticed a little dark circle in my pics! It's in the same exact spot in every picture. I tried cleaning my lens (both ends) and it's still there. I guess my next step in to try to clean the sensor, but I have no idea how. I assume you don't use a standard lens cleaning kit...right? I'm scared to even try it. Man, this stinks. The camera is only 4 days old and I've never had the lens off the body except for the few seconds it took to install it the day I got it. Any tips before I ruin my new camera?
There is no need to scare. Go to a clean place like the bathroom. Make sure that your own body is clean also, use a air-blower, press a few time before hand to make the air cleaning. Insert a fresh set of batteries with full power, enter the "sensor cleaning" mode and blow the dust by facing the camera downwards.

The K100D seems to have an anti-static coating on the CCD's surface (actually the AA filter at its front) and mine have no sticky dust found on it so far since I owned my camera on 1.8.

If sticky dust are found, which cannot be blown away. Simply buy the Sensor Swap kit and follow its instruction to clean. Practice and trial are needed though before you could master better cleaning techniques.

The last thing to check for dust is to shoot a full frame of blue sky, close down the aperture to f/22. (well, dust will be visible at f/11 and smaller for wider angle lenses)

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 9:45 AM   #26

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Think you made the right decision. I had dust on my sensor from day one, but it blew out easily. If it hadn't then I probably would have been visiting the camera shop where I bought it (got it locally) and asking for them to at least clean it for free. In your case, you weren't sure whether it was dust or not, and were in a time crunch.

Speaking of dust, I've got a couple ofnew spots I noticed yesterday - better do something about that today.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm glad I decided to return it. I will feel better if I at least start out with a clean sensor. That way when dust shows up later (and I know it will) at least I'll know it's not a defect of some kind. I hope I get the replacement soo. I miss my camera!
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:22 AM   #27
PDL

Go here - good information about cleaning sensors:

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

Here is another site (they sell stuff so be forwarned) for when you are in the field:

http://www.visibledust.com/index.php

Read the tutorial section
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote