Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 22, 2006, 8:54 PM   #1

I just got done transfering a few shots from my new K100D to my PC when I noticed a little dark circle in my pics! It's in the same exact spot in every picture. I tried cleaning my lens (both ends) and it's still there. I guess my next step in to try to clean the sensor, but I have no idea how. I assume you don't use a standard lens cleaning kit...right? I'm scared to even try it. Man, this stinks. The camera is only 4 days old and I've never had the lens off the body except for the few seconds it took to install it the day I got it. Any tips before I ruin my new camera?
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2006, 8:59 PM   #2

Before you do anything, read the link below. Don't use Q-tips and standard lens cleaning fluid. You will end up with smears and lint. Once you've cleaned your sensor and the fear subsides,it's very easy thereafter. There was a thread on sensor cleaning not very long ago- Bruce

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 9:06 PM   #3

I will read all of that VERY CAREFULLY. Thank you!
Old Sep 22, 2006, 9:27 PM   #4

Try a blower first. If it works (worked for me), you won't need to touch the sensor. Giotto sells the Rocket Blower which seems to work well.

RG
Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 9:45 PM   #5

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
I just got done transfering a few shots from my new K100D to my PC when I noticed a little dark circle in my pics! It's in the same exact spot in every picture. I tried cleaning my lens (both ends) and it's still there. I guess my next step in to try to clean the sensor, but I have no idea how. I assume you don't use a standard lens cleaning kit...right? I'm scared to even try it. Man, this stinks. The camera is only 4 days old and I've never had the lens off the body except for the few seconds it took to install it the day I got it. Any tips before I ruin my new camera?
my DS came with a dirty sensor shield also.
no matter what you do, eventually you will have to clean it.. get use to it..
do a search for microtools to get the info on how to clean it. do a search here about it..... it's a pita to keep posting the links you need to read. google is great..

roy

roy
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:09 PM   #6

I regularly give my DS's sensor a quick clean with a hand powered air blower. This usually removes all traces of dust.

Very occaisonally I have had to resort to Eclipse sensor swabs and cleaning solution.

Of course you could do what some the serious professionals do: never change your lens, just by a body to fit all your regulalry used lenses!
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:45 PM   #7

My K100D came with dust on the sensor, too - was there from the first day. All mine needed was a couple of "squirts" of air from the Giotto Rocket Air hand blower and it went away for a while. Keeping a lens on your camera doesn't necessarily mean that you won't get dust. I didn't change lenses very often during the week we were at Bass Lake, and I had to hand-blow both cameras (kit lens never came off the DS and had the DA 50-200 on the K100D, with an occasional change to the Phoenix macro lens). Hand blowing can't be easier - make sure your batteries are fresh.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 9:43 AM   #8

I am also a fan of frequent blowing first before trying to clean. I bought a foot blower similar to the one Micro-Tools sells and have found it to be excellant. I paid under $10 for it at a local discount store. They are usually in the air matress or inflatable boat section. A blower is a must have tool with a DSLR.

One more thing. An easy way to check for dirt on your sensor is take your kit lens and set it to 55mm and F40, then take a picture of the clear blue sky, don't worry about shutter speed. Any dust specks will readily show themselves. Good luck with your new camera and don't panic. Dust is just part of living with a DSLR and removeable lenses. But the good side is the excellent pictures the camera is capable of- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 11:45 AM   #9

bper wrote:
Quote:
One more thing. An easy way to check for dirt on your sensor is take your kit lens and set it to 55mm and F40, then take a picture of the clear blue sky, don't worry about shutter speed. Any dust specks will readily show themselves. Good luck with your new camera and don't panic. Dust is just part of living with a DSLR and removeable lenses. But the good side is the excellent pictures the camera is capable of- Bruce
Thanks Bruce. I appreciate that information. I'm going to pick up a blower today and give it a try. I hope it works because I'm still very leary of having to touch the sensor with anything.

I do have one other question. I understand why you shouldn't use canned air (because of the propellant). But I have a refillable air can. You attach an air pump to a valve on the can to refill it. That should be dry air (no propellant). Do you think it would be safe to use. or should I not risk it?
Old Sep 23, 2006, 12:12 PM   #10

I would use the Rocket Blower as the first port of call - give it a couple of puffs first before blowing air across the sensor just to make sure that nothinginternal to the blower itself.

Like you, I'm nervous of cleaning the sensorbut accept that one day, I have to resort to something other using myRocketBlower.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote