Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 23, 2006, 11:49 AM   #11

I started using Pentax cameras in the early 80's with a Pentax ME Super. It didn't take a genius to realize this camera was quality in both design and build. This is still the way they do things. When I decided to go to a DSLR from my Fuji S602 I took a trip to Ritz Camera to do a hands on comparison. The build quality of the Pentax cameras far exceeded that of the Canon Rebel and was easily as good as the Nikon and Minolta (if not better). Add in the ease of use not to mention great photo output and that is why the Pentax is a great well built and designed camera.

rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 12:48 PM   #12

this is exactly my reasoning for sticking with pentax. my first film slr choice came down between the pentax mz series bodies and canon rebel series. the pentax just felt better and focused faster (to me) than the canon rebel so i went pentax (funny how build quality of the rebel digital is still put down often). And as stated below, i had some pentax lenses and accessories and wanted to keep costs down as i switched over to dslr photography.

I was very very close to getting a canon 20d as it offered all the features and performance that i wanted, but i got a great deal on a DS and it just made economical sense to stick with pentax

Rob22315 wrote:
Quote:
Originally bought a film body back in the mid 80's because of the small size (travel). Once I had a few lenses, I stuck with the system. I bought a few other film bodies and accessories so when I went digital I kept with Pentax so I kept the number of new goodies to a minimum.

Turns out to have been a good (and lucky) move.

RG
ardigitalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 1:07 PM   #13

My first 'real' SRL was a Pentax K2 because having tries the competition, the Pentax felt just right in the hand.

I only have one Pentax lens from those days that has some internal haze, so brand loyalty wasn't really an issue.

Again, I looked at the competition & didn't want a 'brick' of dSRL - the Pentax *istDS just felt right in the hand being smaller & lighter than the competition.

At the end of the day, whether it's a Canon, Nikon or whatever, they all used much the same sensor so image quality is going to be much the same but the Pentax got my vote of approval & I'm very pleased with my choice.

Canon & Nikon have subsequently produced smaller cameras which creates more of a choice.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 2:09 PM   #14

Why did I pick Pentax?* Well, my mom has an old ME F with a 50mm f2, so I would have at least one lens.* At the time I was looking, the information for the K100D and K110D had just went up on the Pentax Canada site so I decided to wait until they came out.* I was pretty sure I'd get the K110D until I saw the example pictures of what the SR on the K100D could do started poping up, they swayed me and I have since purchased my lovely little K100D.* The reason I decided against Canon was that my mom's boss has an Rebel XT (the other camera I was looking at) and when I handled it I found it very uncomfortable.* It was heavy, cramped and my knuckles knocked against the lens barrel (and my hands are not big at all).* The price was another winning point; Pentax just made the most sense for me!
balofagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 2:11 PM   #15

jmvideo wrote:
Quote:
In your opinion, what makes Pentax cameras better than, say, Canon or Nikon?
Nothing, they are not better, they are just a better choice for me.

I already owned Pentax and Minolta 35mm equipment. Konica/Minolta ran into trouble just as I was about to upgrade to a DSLR, so I went Pentax (my wife surprized me with the camera but I had already decided on the brand).

I have never regretted my choice because my excellent old lenses are still usable and I have lots of NiMH batteries.

As for the other brands, as I have said many times before, the worst DSLR currently available is merely fantastic.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 3:07 PM   #16

I just recently purchased my first DSLR, and had no previous investment in pentax lenses so I was considering all other cameras. At first I was not looking for a DSLR at all, but rather a high end EFV camera. However, when reading reviews of EFV cameras I kept seeing them compared against the *ist DL for they cost about the same amount, but the *ist DL offered much higher quality.

So then I started researching DSLRs. For the price, the *ist DL appeared to be the best option as far as the features it offered, picture quality, and quality of the kit lense that came with it. However the K110 and K100 were just released, so I waited on information about these cameras before making a decision.

Looking at side by side comparisons, as well as tests I performed myself in the camera store, I preferred the high iso performance of the Pentax better then the Nikons (canon was outside of my price range, and I had a negative experience with canon service department before). I also really liked the Shake reduction on the K100. What really sealed the deal for me though was a review by a member of this forum, RiceHigh.

I don't like to make any sort of major purchase until the product I want has been thoroughly critisized and I am aware of its faults. Rice's sharp critisism of the K100 showed me its faults, but he did so in a way that went beyond just saying "Pentax Sucks", he gave real reasons. After carefully reading his review I decided that the shortcomings of the K100 were acceptable to me and wouldn't affect the quality of my pictures, or my ability to use the camera.

Also the K100 was really pushing my budget as far as what I could afford, so I really wasn't comparing it with any camera that was more expensive, even if that price difference was slim.

So far I have not regretted my purchase at all. I started out wanted a EFV with full manual controls to replace my old 2MP powershot and ended up with a true digital SLR. The K100 is everything I wanted in a camera and more, and even though it gets complaints about battery life- it performs much better then my old powershot did with the same AA batteries.

Attached are a couple images from my old powershot camera. Next week I'm going on vacation and will hopefully have some nice new pictures to post from my K100 when I get back.
Attached Images

tvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 3:55 PM   #17

My reason for buying my DL is 1) my father has an old Program Plus that I knew asa kid so the name was familiar to me. 2) I have an IQZoom90 35mm film P&S camera that I really liked and 3) It was the cheapest DSLR when I bought. I trust the Pentax name so it made the decision easy. I read a couple reviews on it before I bought it and they were favorable so I stuck with the initial decision. I agree with Ira, it's too hard to say that it's better than any other DSLR. They are all good in their own ways. I think it comes down mostly to personal preference. I was in a camera shop looking for a lens cap and I overheard someone talking about a Nikon camera and the salesperson and this person were talking it up how it was better than anything out there. Whatever, for me the camera is easy to use and it takes great pictures. And a lot of it also is what people say, you will get a lot more out of it by purchasing good lenses.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 4:43 PM   #18

Well, like some others have mentioned I started out shopping for a new ultrazoom P&S. While researching the latest Panasonic FZs I saw a mention in the Steve's forums about the DL being available for about the same price after rebate. That started me researching Dslr cameras.

While I have some friends who are die-hard Nikon fans I pretty quickly narrowed my choices to either a DL, a K100, or a Sony Alpha. I started asking questions here on the Pentax forum about the cameras and photography in general and there were so many helpful people and so much good information being shared that I decided it had to be a Pentax just so I could keep learning and posting here. In the end, I went with the K100d for the anti-shake and I have not regreted the decision.

So I guess the reason I chose Pentax has as much to do with Pentaxians as it does with the camera's feature set.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 5:07 PM   #19

Hi jmvideo,

I like their philosophy, which I see as Pentax user loyalty over Petax company profits. When they went to AF, they kept compatibility with their Manual Focus lenses, which none of the other manufacturers did. In their first DSLRs (D and DS), they maintained TTL flash compatibility, which the others didn't. This has undeniably cost them considerably at the bottom line in profits, but has allowed Pentax users the choice of either the latest great AF lenses, or the older, but still great MF lenses, and the latest most advanced P-TTL automated flash or the possibly less suitable, but still very capable TTL dedication.

In the K100D, they offer SR at a true entry-level price. The K10D offers at least semi pro features and SR at the $1000 price point. Both still retain the lens compatibility, and the K10D looks to address the in-lens AF motor upgrade without compromising that compatibility.

There are very few posts on any of the Pentax forums complaining about reliability, or chronic back or front focus problems, even with 3rd party lenses. There are always going to be some problem cameras, and C and N obviously sell a lot more cameras, so the numbers might average out, but I think this still shows that build quality is not lacking in Pentax bodies.

Ergonomics is, by its nature, an individual thing. I'm comfortable carrying my DS with a long tele, which is my usual choice, in my hand all day (I use a grip and no neckstrap).

I think that Pentax offers the best selection of very high quality wide angle primes of any mfg. The Limiteds are easily the best combination of optics and build quality available from any mfg. They currently lack in long teles, but some are on the roadmap. The ability to use, say a Tamron Adaptall II SP300/2.8 or SP400/4 allows me the choice to obtain a very fast long lens without having to spend thousands of dollars. Oh yeah, and it'll have SR with one of the K bodies. . .

Pentax might not have the best numbers on paper, but specs don't take the pictures. There were sports photographers before AF and AE even, the same goes for birders, street photographers, landscape shooters, and . . . I've been very satisfied with my DS for over 18 months and 46,000 images, and I'm sure that one of the new SR bodies will work for me as well. I have no regrets with my choice of system. I hope that you will be just as satisfied, whatever you choose.

One more thing -- I've found Pentax forums to be full of great, friendly, unpretentious, helpful people -- maybe it's an "underdog" thing, but this has helped advance my photography dramatically.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 5:17 PM   #20

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi jmvideo,

There were sports photographers before AF and AE even, the same goes for birders, street photographers, landscape shooters, and . . .
Quote:
I think this is one point that is often forgotten, we feel we must always have the ultra performance edge to get the "decisive moment", Cartier-Bresson did it with a manual Leica, nowhere near the speed of any modern DSLR.
Quote:
One more thing -- I've found Pentax forums to be full of great, friendly, unpretentious, helpful people -- maybe it's an "underdog" thing, but this has helped advance my photography dramatically.
Quote:
Hey, we try.
Quote:
Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote