Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 23, 2006, 11:26 AM   #1

I am trying to research reviews on the Tokina RMC 400 5.6 prime. There is not a lot out there and one of the few sites I found with a couple of user reviews is in Swedish. I think I can gather that one user gives the lens 4/5 and the other user gives it a 2/5 but I can't read the comments and Google does not translate Swedish (not that Google's translations are of much value in any case). I was wondering if Kjell or someone else would be willing to summerize the comments found here:

http://www.fotosidan.se/reviews/viewreviews.htm?ID=2072

If anyone here on the list has experience with this lens I would be very interested in your thoughts.

Thank you,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2006, 2:36 PM   #2

At your service. You learning Swedish would not be a shortcut. In a huge exhibition in Paris on "all the languages in the world" Swedish was found in a corner under the sign "60 rare languages near extinction". (Maybe that tells us more about the frogeaters than about the Swedish language, though:-):-):-))

My translation is very literal, making it a less beautiful English.

Kjell

Martin Nilsson[/b]

PLUS: Tele lens at a very favourable price. Sharpness is good if you close down to f/8. Very stable.
MINUS: The light meter doesn't work in my camera (Nikon D70) with this lens since it's fully manual. (hehe :blah:says the translator)

Fun to take photos with a 400 mm (600 on my camera). It's no action lens really but it works just fine for animal shooting.

Bought at: Private seller

Pris: 600 SEK/83 USD

Björn Magnusson[/b]

PLUS: Well well, good focus lenght for animal photo.
MINUS: Slow (meaning small largest aperture, f5.6), not very sharp, no auto focus.

Bought it used because I wanted to add to my lens set with a longer lens. Exciting to use a 400, but itusuallyrequires a tripod.

Bought at: Secondhandphoto in Kungsbacka

Pris: 900 SEK/124 USD

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 3:18 PM   #3

I use the lense, soft wide open then gets sharp by f8, nice build, smooth focus, built in hood. Several of my new posts at Pbase where done with the lense. Avian Gallery.

Dana

http://www.pbase.com/thazooo
thazooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 4:52 PM   #4

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
At your service. You learning Swedish would not be a shortcut. In a huge exhibition in Paris on "all the languages in the world" Swedish was found in a corner under the sign "60 rare languages near extinction". (Maybe that tells us more about the frogeaters than about the Swedish language, though:-):-):-))
Gustav Adolphus must have turned over in his grave. Of course, if you had announced that he was stirring they might have surrendered :-).

Thank you very much, numerical scores are not much value unless you see what factors are contributing to the score. I can't see giving a manual focus lens negative marks simply for being manual focus. I sure appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Thanks,
Tim
Old Sep 23, 2006, 4:55 PM   #5

thazooo wrote:
Quote:
I use the lense, soft wide open then gets sharp by f8, nice build, smooth focus, built in hood. Several of my new posts at Pbase where done with the lense. Avian Gallery.

Dana

http://www.pbase.com/thazooo
Thanks Dana, you have some very nice shots in that gallery. I notice you describe your lens as an AT-X, I believe this one is older and is labeled RMC. I don't know if there is any difference between them or if it was just a name change. Looking at your results, though, it is probably worth picking it up and playing with it.

Thanks,
Tim
Old Sep 23, 2006, 5:06 PM   #6
TC3

If you wait a week i can try out the exact same lens once i get it from the ebay seller. I have no idea what it is like and took a gamble on it Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 5:12 PM   #7

There's a topic at pnet on the tokina rms,atx, rmc. Couldn't figure out how to post the link. I searched using tokina rmc 400mm and it popped up. Some pro's, some con's regarding them.

thazooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:17 AM   #8
TC3

Tim

I just got the lens in the post at work. Tried it with and without the tamron 1.4tc and viewed on lcd screen. I am still getting to grips with manual exposure and focus but first impressions are the combo works very well for what it is. I will do some shots at the weekend and post if you still want to see some but wont bother posting if you have decided to not go with the lens.

Tony
Old Sep 28, 2006, 11:51 AM   #9

Thanks Tony. I would love to see some pics from it. I ended up deciding that the price seemed right for a 400mm prime and I gambled. Mine had not arrived yet and my wife has made clear I don't actually get to play with it until my birthday anyhow. I am glad you hear your positive report!

Tim
Old Sep 30, 2006, 8:20 AM   #10
TC3

Hi Tim

Very lil time to play today. Took a pic with the 50-200 just to show how powerful the 400mm is against 200mm. All shot in RAW, lens wide openand slight adjustments (mucked that up as new to RAW) but no time to do the job properly. This is just to show how handy the 400mm is and nothing more so i am not asking for comments from anyone regarding composition etc etc. Also did a pic with the 2x TC as i had left the Tamron 1.4x at work. The Tamron works well with the DA50-200 but the 2x TC does not however i am quite happy with it on the prime.

DA 50-200 @200mm

Tokina 400mm but sun went behind some clouds for this one

Tokina 400mm and 2x Teleplus MC7 Macro TC