Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 19, 2006, 2:58 PM   #31

I got my Zenitar a couple weeks ago and love it so far (and don't seem to have any infinity focusing issues - the way it's talked about, I got the impression that most come that way!)

Anyway - I can't seem to get it to work properly with flash. This hasn't been a huge issue so far but it'd be nice to figure out the trick. My current shooting involves being in Manual mode, composing/focusing, hitting the A/EL button, and taking the shot. This usually produces good results. But if I turn on the flash, everything is completely overexposed (think almost pure white) as if the A/EL has no idea that the flash will be fired.

Am I missing a step somewhere?

Other than that, it's been fun. I have stuck in on my K1000 a couple times, too, and that gives me an excuse to drag it (the K1000) along on some future trips, to take some really fishy fish-eye photos.

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 3:21 PM   #32

Damfino schreef:
Quote:
I got my Zenitar a couple weeks ago and love it so far (and don't seem to have any infinity focusing issues - the way it's talked about, I got the impression that most come that way!)

Anyway - I can't seem to get it to work properly with flash. This hasn't been a huge issue so far but it'd be nice to figure out the trick. My current shooting involves being in Manual mode, composing/focusing, hitting the A/EL button, and taking the shot. This usually produces good results. But if I turn on the flash, everything is completely overexposed (think almost pure white) as if the A/EL has no idea that the flash will be fired.

Other than that, it's been fun. I have stuck in on my K1000 a couple times, too, and that gives me an excuse to drag it (the K1000) along on some future trips, to take some really fishy fish-eye photos.

I do not have a focussing issue either, it was my mistake. But with the flash, I got quit good results with the built in flash, the Zenitar on 16 and the shutter on 250 (No a-el measurement.) I have a DL. When I use the Sigma I get the same as you allmost pure white.

It's a horrible picture, overexposed the lady's in front, and not sharp, but you can see what the flash can do. (It's about 15 meters and there was only some daylight from the left side comming in.)

Richard.

Attached Images

Ritro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 3:23 PM   #33

I believe all the newer Zenitar have their infinity focus issue sorted out already.
It is almost hopeless to get the onboard flash as it will be firing full blast. Also it does not have an adapter for wide angle lens. I recall the manual of DL and K100D says that it can only handle 18mm tops
With AF360 flash at least you can do bounce flash or reduce the blast.
I know little about it as I hardly use that.
Other guru here may provide you with more info'

Daniel

Damfino wrote:
Quote:

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 3:30 PM   #34

Rick,

The stage is too deep and the on board flash has not had that sort of reach.
In similar situation, I will go for raw, iso 3200 with no flash. Make sure you overexpose just 1/2 stop and you can get rid of the noise with post processing.
If you can shoot again, try it. It does not cost you a penny.
K100D will be handy too with its SR.

Daniel

Ritro wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I do not have a focussing issue either, it was my mistake. But with the flash, I got quit good results with the built in flash, the Zenitar on 16 and the shutter on 250 (No a-el measurement.) I have a DL. When I use the Sigma I get the same as you allmost pure white.

It's a horrible picture, overexposed the lady's in front, and not sharp, but you can see what the flash can do. (It's about 15 meters and there was only some daylight from the left side comming in.)

Richard.

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 4:01 PM   #35

Thanks Daniel. I only have the onboard flash and I'm sure I'll eventually pick up an external flash but no time soon. Fortunately so far it hasn't really been an issue - I try to use flash as a last resort anyway. (Obviously I don't really do any macro photography, at least not yet.)

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
I believe all the newer Zenitar have their infinity focus issue sorted out already.
It is almost hopeless to get the onboard flash as it will be firing full blast. Also it does not have an adapter for wide angle lens. I recall the manual of DL and K100D says that it can only handle 18mm tops
With AF360 flash at least you can do bounce flash or reduce the blast.
I know little about it as I hardly use that.
Other guru here may provide you with more info
Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote