Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 23, 2006, 3:32 PM   #1

We just bought an old 80-400 Tokina on ebay. Love it love it love it. Focuses like a dream, colors great, exposure ditto, sharpness likewise.

Apparently all the problems I was having with the K100D with lousy colors and focusing troubles were associated with the kit lens (55-200).

That being said, and noting a world of difference since using the Tokina, am thinking seriously about buying a new Tokina 28-200 for my walkabout lens.

Is it as good as the 80-400?

f
fogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2006, 4:04 PM   #2

I have a Tokina AT-X 242. It is 24-200mm and is great compared to other brands in that range.

Ed
Old Sep 23, 2006, 5:39 PM   #3

when you say the kit lens, 55-200, do you mean the pentax DA 50-200 lens??
reason i'd like to know is that this would be the first complaint i've ever heard about it.

roy
Old Sep 23, 2006, 8:47 PM   #4

Fogueira,
Is this lens the first ATX without the tripod mount or the second model with the tripod mount? I am glad to see that you like yours, the reviews I have found on this also seem to be very favorable.

Thanks,

Tim

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 10:02 PM   #5

When you mention focusing troubles with the K100D kit lens, what types of problems do you mean?

I don't know if it's me or the camera, but I keep having problems focusing on things, too. Manually, it works fine. But, when on auto pict, many times it just won't take the photo. I keep thinking I need to sit down and read the manual with the camera in hand to try things. I'm not sure what the focus is set on right now. Keep meaning to see if it is all screen or one spot.

The other thing I'm noticing is, onauto pictI'm getting much darker photos than if I set to manual and do the settings myself. I'm much too new at this and I can't do that all the time. I'm too slow at going through the thinking process of what settings I need to get the photo I want!

I, too, am thinking of the 50-200 lens. Just waiting on a friend who's a photographer to help me decide.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 3:37 PM   #6

Without the tripod mount.

I meant the 24-200, great to hear it's in the same league as the 80-400.

Yes, it's the DA 50-200. This may all be subjective on my part, but it was just much easier to focus the Tokina in general, although all lenses seem to be incapable of dealing with flying birds on autofocus. The color problems were another story, they just looked plain wrong no matter whether I put them on "natural" or "bright". The Tokina colors were much more akin to what I saw with my eyes.

I always shoot at 0.5 stop underexposed or even more, but I noticed even with that compensation the DA would blow out highlights, but the Tokina did not. I am not a professional photographer nor even a very good amateur one, but I could tell the difference.

I note that the Tamron 28-200 focuses closer, but its reviews are iffy. Is the Tokina 24-200 considered "better" even though it, like the 50-200, focuses to about 3 feet? The one thing I really miss is macro focusing, or anything closer than 3 feet. My little Canon point and shoot (A700) spoiled me to death.

Thanks for your help,

f

fogueira is offline   Reply With Quote