Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:24 PM   #31

dequardo wrote:
Quote:
Do you zealots actually ever take pictures?
Sure why not, at least for something different....

just not very good ones...... to others fight like cats and dogs ehhhh...

OK So much for doggie and kittie.. How about slime molds.............

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 6:00 AM   #32

Everybody needs a hobby, for some of us that is photography, for others it is cameras, for others it is... Oh well, everyone needs a hobby, and everyone has the free choice of what that hobby will be (within the realms of the law and good taste).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:06 AM   #33

BINGO, Ira!

PentaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:03 AM   #34

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
(within the realms of the law and good taste).

Ira
Takes all the fun out of it doesn't it:G
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 2:21 AM   #35

For the most primitive and basic definition, 255 is pure white and 0 is total darkness and then 128 is somewhere exactly in between, i.e. middle grey.

However, some says that 118 should be the mid-grey for the sRGB space and I have no strong disagreement in that suggestion.

Some others suggest that light meters of DSLRs do not reproduce mid-grey but something darker than mid-grey. I found that different (see my homepage for details on my dis-proof of the 12% light meter theory - by some simple calculations with reference to ANSI formulas). Even it is true, the key point is still not here.

The key point is that my 3 *ist D bodies and 3 *ist DS body will produce different metering readings plus exposure results,in a rather large degree of deviation, with different metering mode selected or simply with different original Pentax lenses used (I count only for my more than one dozen of Pentax *AF* lenses, only).

So, if one argues that Pentax's light meter reproduces 12% or a level at 118, it should be consistent from time to time. Also, I do believe that a 12% reproduction will have produced pics looking rather dark which is not so desirable from just laymen point of view, for most typical users.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh

oreo57 wrote:
Quote:
But this does..........

quote..................

[align=left]ABOUT "MID-SCALE GRAY"[/align]

[align=left]It is often said that the objective of the usual calibration of a reflected[/align]

[align=left]light exposure meter is that an object whose reflectance is the average[/align]

[align=left]reflectance of the scene will be given an exposure result that is[/align]

[align=left]considered "mid-scale gray", and that an exposure result that[/align]

[align=left]represents a luminance of about 18% of the luminance represented by[/align]

[align=left]the largest possible exposure result (that would be about[/align]

[align=left]RGB 118,118,118 in an sRGB color space) would be considered such[/align]

[align=left]a mid-scale gray.

[align=left]I won't attempt to comment on the idea that 18% relative luminance[/align]

[align=left]should be thought of as mid-scale gray.[/align]

[align=left]Note, however, that as we see above, for a camera automatic[/align]

[align=left]exposure system calibrated in accordance with ISO 2721, or for a[/align]

[align=left]shot taken under the guidance of an exposure meter calibrated under[/align]

[align=left]ISO 2720 with a
K of 12.7, an object whose reflectance is the same[/align]

[align=left]as the average reflectance of the scene will be given an 12.7%[/align]

[align=left]relative luminance result, not an 18% result.[/align]
[/align]

[align=left].......unquote[/align]

[align=left]No mention of 127 I see. A calibrated camera should have a peak LEFT of center w/ a grey card or white wall. Better look at your exposure data again. Apparently the k100 is overexposing [/align]

[align=left]http://www.qualiteitems.com/images/S...eflectance.pdf[/align]
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 3:14 AM   #36
TC3

dequardo wrote:
Quote:
Do you zealots actually ever take pictures?
Good question! Pathetic arent they:roll:
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 4:05 AM   #37

Darren wrote:

To be honest, banning RH from dpreview is IMHO a very small-minded thing to do.

> Thank God he is not in dpreview, the forum is so much better without him.

Darren wrote:

He is the only person who is doing what Pentax should be doing, testing the camera to (almost) destruction.

> No please, I like Pentax the way it is. Pentax should never be doing what RH is doing. If it does then I'm switching.

Darren wrote:

If you don't wanna know what he is doing, don't read his responses.

>I don't. I tried to read it once (first time, last time) and found it very irritating and a complete waste of time.

RH is a kind of a customerthatPentax can do without. I realy wishthat he was a Canon user.

JR

Jacobsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:46 AM   #38

I vite for more pictures. I throughly enjoy the wonderful pictures posted by those who make a Pantax work for them inspite of all the issues.

More Pictures!...I say...More Pictures!

F
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:41 AM   #39

Jacobsr wrote:
Quote:
Darren wrote:
No please, I like Pentax the way it is. Pentax should never be doing what RH is doing. If it does then I'm switching.
If Pentax (or any camera maker) have not done what I have done (just for a few), you will never have *any* camera to use on this planet!

Engineering is not something by chance, it is a practical science, from design to manufacturing and etc. Every process involves deep calculations, measurement, instrumentation and etc.

Quote:
I don't. I tried to read it once (first time, last time) and found it very irritating and a complete waste of time.
I feel the same to respond to your post, but I just can't help.

Quote:
RH is a kind of a customer that Pentax can do without. I realy wish that he was a Canon user.
JR
I agree to you on your this "point", it's better to have a customer like you for total brand loyalty than one like me who will report both positive and negative things for what I have found. But I bet if a company have only your this type of customers, they will go out of business very soon, just because they will receive no customer feedback and will never improve, MHO.

Also, I cannot figure out why Pentax don't want me as a customer, do note that I heavily invested and still invest into a *Pentax* system! I don't think that they don't want to earn my money as just *you* suppose. Just that *if* Pentax has *good* products, what do *you* or simply Pentax is being afraid of??

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:20 AM   #40

Quote:

If Pentax (or any camera maker) have not done what I have done (just for a few), you will never have *any* camera to use on this planet!

Engineering is not something by chance, it is a practical science, from design to manufacturing and etc. Every process involves deep calculations, measurement, instrumentation and etc.
I am guessing that you might be an engineer? :-)

Quote:

Wah...communisium is back! :O

(Kidding!) :-)

Quote:

Everybody needs a hobby, for some of us that is photography, for others it is cameras, for others it is... Oh well, everyone needs a hobby, and everyone has the free choice of what that hobby will be (within the realms of the law and good taste).

Ira

Photography is my hobby too. However, I am also currently interested in cameras just because I really need to be buying another. :-)

Eventually, I might just have to grow out ofthe "camera craze"I guess. :-)

I will be attending photography classes next year BTW. I hope to be able to appreciate photography more. Who knows...it might be my main profession in future.

I am looking forward to your opinions in arecent thread started by me.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote