Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 24, 2006, 4:03 PM   #1

I know this has been discussed before, but can't find a specific list of the differences between the EF 500 DG STand the EF 500 DG Super (P-TTL versions) in the archives. Is the high speed sync the only difference for DL users? The Sigma site seems to give exactly the same "specs" for both flashes as far as I can see. Other than the obvious price difference ($80) what are the feature differences? What would these differences in features mean to picture taking... in otherwords when would they be useful?

Is Sigma4less usually the best price from adependable vendor? ST US$135 and Super US$215.

Thanks, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2006, 4:31 PM   #2

i may be wrong but the st doesn't have flash compensation, it can only be set to 1/16 or full power, no high speed flash sync. i don't think it has auto off, no wireless control at all, and less manual controls. there's probably more. i got the super so i can grow into it. i also use it a lot for macros. the st will do that also..

roy
Old Sep 24, 2006, 5:14 PM   #3

I have twice bought items from sigma4less, firsta 28~300mm lense , and then around a year later, a EF-500 DG ST for my then new ist*DS. Both transactions went smooth with no "snags" at all.

Both Sigma products perform as I expected and suit my needs. The only "bug" with the flash is that I found that I have to clean the flash electricalcontacts, before mounting the flash,otherwise the flash will sometimesmisfire and overexspose the pic. I have a can of guick dryingelectrical contact cleaner that I bought at an auto parts store for around $5. I spray a little cleaneron a clean rag and the quickly give the camera and flash contacts a few quick swipes. I never directly spray the flash or camera.
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 5:25 PM   #4

i've had the same problem myself. but i've also had it with my pentax400ftz and a vivitar 550(RIP). i usually back the lock wheel off , jiggle the flash, and retighten. i think this is a prob not very much reported with all flashes. maybe

roy
sigma4less is the least expensive. i researched that faily well. if you have c* or n* you can find them on the bay. other cheaper places i found were not very well representd at resellers.com....