Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 24, 2006, 6:38 PM   #1

Well, I mean the pond dwelling kind:blah:

Some shots from today's walk, used the Sigma 24-135mm, most shots at 135mm except the beaver lodge at 24mm.

Home

The happy couple:

The little lady:

Man of the house:

One more shot:

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2006, 7:21 PM   #2

Those are those pesky little dam (damn) builders alright. Great shots for a 135mm lens, I'm impressed.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 8:10 PM   #3

They're cute! Love the shots and since we don't have any beaver around here (you have to have water to have beavers, I believe) I just have to ask-how do you tell the male from the female - size?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 11:13 PM   #4

You have these in your close neighbourhood, Ira? I agree with Tom, great for 135 mm.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 3:05 AM   #5

Hi Ira,

Pretty neat.

As a big-city boy, I've only had one experience with dam-building beavers (had to be specific:-)), on a weekend fishing trip to WI. We actually went there to try some walleye fishing, having never done it, but when we got to the cottage, it was located on a small, private, beaver-dammed lake. I decided to try the little lake while my buddies took the boat out to a larger nearby lake known for good walleye fishing. They came back skunked, but I had caught and released 15 4+lb largemouth bass, with the largest at @ 7 1/2 lbs. They laughed at me when I told them the day I'd had, but the laughter stopped when they opened the fridge to find the 2 cleaned 4 pounders that I had deep hooked and decided to keep for dinner. They were shocked when I told them that these were some of the smaller ones, as they were the two of the biggest bass they had ever seen in person. Oh yeah -- beavers. . .

I imagine it was the male who kept swimming a wide circle around the little johnboat I was using, and he periodically slapped his tail on the water. The sound was startling at first (I thought someone was shooting at me!), but once I understood what was happening, I just tried to stay away from the dam, even though some of the biggest bass liked to hide in it. Quite a day, and memorable for my only experience with beavers, as well asthe best of my many many bass fishing days.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 4:01 AM   #6

Nice Beaver Ira!! We have a lodge around one of the wildife areas I visit. They don't make themselves visible too often..cheers.....Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 7:35 AM   #7

I wasn't expecting the others in these fora. Do our American neighbours and other friends know what you refer to!?
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:27 AM   #8

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
They're cute! Love the shots and since we don't have any beaver around here (you have to have water to have beavers, I believe) I just have to ask-how do you tell the male from the female - size?
Just a guess but the larger one circled and made a racket with his tail slaps while the smaller went back to the lodge. I think it was the male making the distraction so that the female could go home unnoticed.

Ira
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:30 AM   #9

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
I wasn't expecting the others in these fora. Do our American neighbours and other friends know what you refer to!?
I believe there was a humourous reference to the other meaning in one of the Naked Gun films. It involved a ladder and a taxidermy beaver.

Ira
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:32 AM   #10

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Those are those pesky little dam (darn) builders alright. Great shots for a 135mm lens, I'm impressed.

Tom
The beaver lodge was just beside the trail so it was easy to get close, they are familiar with people walking by.

Ira