Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 24, 2006, 9:20 PM   #1

Aside from the shake reduction on the K100D, is there an advantage to the pentaprism view finder on the Samsung GX-1S over the pentamirror on the K100D?
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2006, 9:40 PM   #2

I own and extensively use 2 Pentax DS cameras (pentprism) and 1 K100D camera. I often switch back and forth between cameras and the differnce is absolutely minor.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 10:01 PM   #3

I've read that the pentaprism viewfinders are brighter than pentamirror types. do you find that to be true? Since you have both DS and K100D, which would you preferin low light situations?I like the idea of shake reduction, but am concerned with a not so bright view finder. I'm assuming the GX-1S is pretty much the same as a DS2. Now the K10D will have the best of both, but it'snot in my budget. Thanks.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 11:01 PM   #4

Prisms are brighter, thats what they are designed to do, there is very little if any light loss.

Luckily the k10d has a prism again so that makes me happy
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 4:14 AM   #5

Maybe there was something wrong with my DS, but it was much darker than my k100d is. My k100 is very bright. I really don't notice a big difference in FOV between the 2.....cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 8:50 AM   #6

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Maybe there was something wrong with my DS, but it was much darker than my k100d is. My k100 is very bright. I really don't notice a big difference in FOV between the 2.....cheers...Don

There is nothing wrong. DL/K100D's view finder is smaller than DS. Smaller = brighter.

I'll tak DS's Pentaprism over DL/K100D's pentamirror any day.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:34 AM   #7

I think the biggest difference is in subject contrast, pentaprism finders are therefore somewhat easier to manually focus with.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 10:15 PM   #8

I don't find much difference manually focusing either camera. The biggest difference I notice is that the bar on the bottom of the DS is bigger, so it is easier to see the aperture and shutter speed in bright light, and the DS has a better eye cup. I find myself shielding the viewfinder with my left hand to help see the numbers, then putting it back on the camera/lens to stabilize it. I do still use the DS on occasion.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote