Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:16 AM   #11

That seems to do it (the picture is lousy, used it just to make the point).

Now, I have to choose between a new lens and getting some decent software.
I will wait for Photoshop Elements 5 to come out with K100D support.

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:42 AM   #12

In both DL & K10D (wishful thinking turned into typo: it is K100D) , I use Manual WB for indoor and no flash shots. This is done with PSP . See if it comes out better?

Daniel

DigitalAddict wrote:
Quote:
Here is an example shot in JPEG that no matter what I do I cannot get the skin color right in software (maybe I need a better software?!).

Shot with FA 50mm F1.4 at F3.2, 1/10s, ISO-400, SR on.
Attached Images

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:56 AM   #13

I had similar problems and thought it was the camera's fault until I changed lenses. With the 50-200 DA I'd either get a yellow shift or a red shift and what I considered to be overly desaturated colors. I'm a wildly amateur photographer and figured I was just being spoiled and subjective until I put an old Tokina 80-400 lens on and everything popped out and looked perfectly fine. In all conditions on auto white balance that particular lens did not fail me once.

The K100 is an awesome camera. My copy of the kit lens, however, continues to disappoint me, unfortunately.

It just might be your lens (not that I know jack, of course).

f
fogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:56 AM   #14

Also the K100D, unlike the DL, has spot WB too which is very helpful in complicated lighting situation.

I still have to find one missed WB shot. As can be seen, even a small jpg file with mismatched WB setting can be corrected to considerable extent. If you shoot raw, the whole issue is really a non-issue.

DigitalAddict:
Both of your shots are amazing other than the minor WB finetuning. They are done at 2.8 & 3.2. FA50mm is a persistent legend and an inexpensive lens.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:06 PM   #15

White balance is tricky because unless you are shooting under a calibrated light soruce, you are pretty much guessing. AWB sometimes works, but the best thing to do is to shoot RAW, and in Adobe's ACR you can click on the left dropper and then set a neutral point. Quick and dirty!

If you're in a consistent light source, shoot a frame with a gray card. That'll give you a reference point.
danag42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:14 PM   #16

Great discussion guys. It should be very helpful to al newbies (myself included).

Sometimes I feel that we should be more open towards folks coming from other camera systems when asking legitimate questions. Or contemplating a new purchase. No system is perfect and we know it.

Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:26 PM   #17

Ultimate cure for poor indoor white balance (attached).

Sorry guys couldn't resist.

Ira
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:36 PM   #18

OK then: I do not need no stinking software:-) More lenses to the people
(not sure wife will be happy with the arrangement thou).

Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:40 PM   #19

Hi digitaladdict,

"Here is an example shot in JPEG that no matter what I do I cannot get the skin color right in software (maybe I need a better software?!)."

Here's what I get with your pic and a few minutes playing with PSPXI's color correction tools and the ColorWasher 2.0 plugin:

Not perfect, but I didn't spend a lot of time on it (not that your subject isn't worth it, but I just wanted to illustrate a point).

I would consider image processing software as important as camera bodies, lenses, tripods and flashes. Why buy the best that you can afford in equipment, then scrimp on PP? I'm not meaning to dump on you personally, just venting on something I see all too often, people willing to spend whatever it takes to take great images, then looking for free software to process them (not that there aren't any good free or inexpensive alternatives, mind you)-- if it were darkroom equipment, they would be spending a ton for the best -- with software, it seems to be "what's the cheapest I can get by with?". PSCS2 might be too expensive, but there are a lot of reasonably priced programs out there that have more features than I'll ever use, and there are thousands of plugins to make them even better. Same thing goes for printing. If your images are worth it, use the best available service available, not the cheapest, most convenient, etc. -- Sorry, -- pet peeve talking! :-)

Whatever happened to "it's the photographer, not the camera"? If there's a WB mistake, it's my fault, not the camera's, and now it's my job to work it in PP if I want to salvage it.

OK. . .rant over. :-)

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:48 PM   #20

I agree with your points: I am a bit cheap plus LBA hits me hard.
All I have for now is Picasa (yeah, I know). Did I mention that I am a software developer:-)