Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 25, 2006, 3:05 PM   #21

I checked your cyan channel out of curiosity (split image into CMYK). It's practically empty.. That just seems odd....... One thing to keep in mind is you have skin surrounded by red, maroon yellow (wood) and really yellow lighting. There are a lot of colored reflections that our wonderful mind will just "ignore" rendering our perception of the scene fairly useless..... Shoot RAW, or flash or camera "tungsten" setting, or best a custom WB. The conditions are tough regardless of the camera, at least so it seems..... The color of a sunset are about the same as tungsten light (in Kelvin) so how does the camera decide if you want a yellow sunset or rosy skin in AWB?
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 4:04 PM   #22

The red must be the killer.

I just loaded it in the new Adobe Lightroom beta, selected Tungsten and it gets way better (considering the effort).
Attached Images

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 4:29 PM   #23

DigitalAddict wrote:
Quote:
I agree with your points: I am a bit cheap plus LBA hits me hard.
All I have for now is Picasa (yeah, I know). Did I mention that I am a software developer:-)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'd suggest shooting in raw and using the Pentax software (version 3, based on Silky Pix). I have Photoshop Elements, but I find the Pentax software does a great job.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 4:50 PM   #24

I have had my K100D for over a month now. I do agree that the auto white balance indoors is far from perfect. Outdoors I have no problem. I think that most cameras will have trouble with indoor lighting anyways. But it's not really that big of an issue. I always manually set my white balance when shooting indoors. I just grab a piece of white paper and click click, all better. Seriously, there are so many other great things about this camera, that far out weigh the auto white balance issue.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 6:47 PM   #25

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
I have had my K100D for over a month now. I do agree that the auto white balance indoors is far from perfect. Outdoors I have no problem. I think that most cameras will have trouble with indoor lighting anyways. But it's not really that big of an issue. I always manually set my white balance when shooting indoors. I just grab a piece of white paper and click click, all better. Seriously, there are so many other great things about this camera, that far out weigh the auto white balance issue.

Is that all it takes to manually set a custom white balance? Shoot a peice of white paper a couple times and its set? I'm curious cause today I had some indoor shooting to do and it turned out terrible. I fixed it in Raw shooter E,but would love to know how to set a custom WB for indoors. I knew I should set the WB but didn't know what setting to use for indoors and theres a number of settings.If I could just shoot a peice of white paper man that would be a simple way to do it.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 8:04 PM   #26

It is amazing!

All DSLRs have problems with WB in tungsten light. Check www.dpreview.com reviews of Nikon D50/D70/D80, Canon 350D/20D/30D, Sony a100: all of them completely miss auto WB in tungsten lights. It is known problem of all DSLRs.

However then one reviewer decides that this should be mentioned in his conclusions of K100D and job is done. Every potential buyer of K100D starts to imagine that this problem is huge and specific to only K100D.

I find that my DS in tungsten light gives acceptable WB when I manually set it to tungsten light.

However the best solution in tungsten light (for all DSLRs) is following:
1. Set WB manually using WB reference card (white paper in case you don't have WB reference card).
2. Shoot RAW -- you will be able to set WB to whatever you want later (if you need to).

BTW, that ā€˛reviewer" who complains about colour inaccuracy and about different colours on his LCD and CRT monitors sounds as a joke, he should read about monitor calibration first...

Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 10:28 PM   #27

This is how I set my manual WB. Now keep in mind that you can only manually set it when using P, Tv, Av, M, or B modes. If the camera is set to Auto, SCN, or any other preset setting, the auto WB cannot be overrided.

1. Push Fn
2. Left arrow button to get to the white balance menu.
3. Scroll down to "White Balance Manual."
4. Place a piece of white paper about arms length from the lens.
5. Make sure you are in Manual focus (for some reason when in autofocus, it won't let me trigger the shutter.)
6. Take a picture and view it on the LCD screen. If the white paper is to your liking, push OK.
7. You can then switch back to autofocus if you wish.

This is how I manually set the WB, especially for wacky indoor lighting. Now if you manually set the white balance and then use flash, you will get a blue picture. Remember, the light from your flash changes the light that reflects off your subjects.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 10:43 PM   #28

If it can't autofocus (due to dim light or no contrast, ie white paper) it won't let you fire.
Not odd at all. I suppose needing to autofocus in WB mode is a bit silly.Yes just switch to MF.....
Grey card or $100 expodisc, or whibal g6
http://www.rawworkflow.com
$40-$50 can be used as well.......also certain coffee filters and "pringles" can covers but I won't go there Not all white is "white" but better than nothing

Actually you should check out this tutorial (I'm NOT plugging this product)

http://pictureflow.fileburst.com/_Tu...Bal/index.html

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 10:52 PM   #29

I find the skin on the back of my hand works for me most of the time for custom WB as well as metering.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:41 PM   #30

Quote:
This is how I manually set the WB, especially for wacky indoor lighting. Now if you manually set the white balance and then use flash, you will get a blue picture. Remember, the light from your flash changes the light that reflects off your subjects.
This reminds me of what happened to one of my Canonite friends (good guy otherwise): at this event at the church, a baptism, he set his custom WB for the artificial light inside. After he took dozens of shots, the party moved outside for some more. As you might guess, he forgot to reverse the WB to daylight (or Auto) and all he got was a bunch of unusable pictures. And they were mostly of his wife's family...

The moral of the story: shoot RAW or get a second body:-)

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote