Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 25, 2006, 10:45 AM   #1

I've been playing around more with the kit lens now that most of the flowers are gone, just to see what it will do. I find the biggest problem is when you auto focus, say on a tree or bush, it doesn't always give you a sharp focus where you want it to. I notice that once you press the shutter half way and focus you can then manual focus on the part you want in focus, but when you press the shutter the remain distance to take the picture the auto focus tweaks your adjustment again. I found the only way I could do this without it tweaking is move the slider to manual focus and do the whole thing manually.

I guess I am confused, because I thought the kit lens had the quick-focus feature like the 50-200mm, but it does not appear to have it. A quick look on the Pentax site does not mention this feature on the 18-55mm lens. Have you people run into the same problem? I must say the kit lens does not have the smooth slight friction focus of the old Super Takumars. They are apleasure to focus manually- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:13 PM   #2

Any kit lens is just "adequate" for use. If you want a really great lens, get the 16-45. It's one of the best zooms I ever used.
danag42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:28 PM   #3

Kit lens 18-55 has the same quick-shift focus feature. If works for me in many occasions. Usually, AF does not re-adjust itself after accquired lock UNLESS you're in AF-C mode. Check your settings. You should use AF-S mode for this to work properly.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:13 PM   #4

I use 'Select Focus Point i.e. set the focus area to one of eleven areas in the AF area' which allows me to determine which part of the flower etc I want to be sharp.

Stopping the lens down i.e. using a slower shutter speed or smaller aperture also helps increase the DOF.

Also, when you're in that close, it's probably better to move the camera in or out rather than to manually adjust the focus.

Another tip is preset the focus and just move in until the image in focus & press the shutter.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:46 PM   #5

Hi bper,

I think that you need to get a focus confirmation first and hold at half press for the camera to not try to refocus.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:39 PM   #6

I think I figured this out after playing with it a little more today. When you press the butten halfway, it auto focuses once, then you can manual focus it with the button held halfway, it does not try to refocus automatically. What I found is happening, is as soon as the picture is taken, when you push the button down all the way, itchecks focus before you let up on the shutter. What I was interpreting as arefocus was actually occuring immediatelyafter the shutter snapped. Correct me if I am wrong on this - Bruce
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:54 PM   #7

Hi Bruce,

You're correct, it'll then try to focus for the next shot. If you don't want it to, like when you want to shoot a burst or series of shots using the same focus, you can set your OK button to cancel AF in the custom menu. You then press the OK button with your thumb and hold it while shooting until you want it to refocus. You can also set the OK button to activate AF, and you would press it to AF, then let up on it while you take your series of shots, then use it again to refocus. Both have their places, but I prefer the first -- use it all the time.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 9:18 AM   #8

Thanks Scott for reminding me of this. I have used the OK button set on #3 before and this works well if you are not taking action shots. That way the auto focus does not get in the way once you have your initial focus set and you can tweak the focus manually all you want or move the camera in and out to get the detail you want into focus. I have found this important when taking flower pictures, because the auto focus does not always lock in on the detail you want to be in sharp focus.

In my mind the OK button setting is better then using the manual slider once you get use to it, because it is more conveniently locatedto operate withyour thumb. Like some people on this forum, I have mostly older manual focus lenses and have to re-learn everytime Iputmy kit lenson. Such is life- Bruce
Old Sep 26, 2006, 12:09 PM   #9

bper wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Scott for reminding me of this. I have used the OK button set on #3 before and this works well if you are not taking action shots. That way the auto focus does not get in the way once you have your initial focus set and you can tweak the focus manually all you want or move the camera in and out to get the detail you want into focus. I have found this important when taking flower pictures, because the auto focus does not always lock in on the detail you want to be in sharp focus.

In my mind the OK button setting is better then using the manual slider once you get use to it, because it is more conveniently locatedto operate withyour thumb. Like some people on this forum, I have mostly older manual focus lenses and have to re-learn everytime Iputmy kit lenson. Such is life- Bruce
i deligated my OK button to be the focus button for the exact same reasons - i would achieve the focus i want, but you aren't able to re-compose if the focus is set to the shutter button because the AF will be continually changing. I actually like leaving my camera in M mode and using the ae-l button to meter now, even with my auto lenses - just have to remember to re-meter when the lighting changes! (gotten used to it).

There is a reason why the K10D has a dedicated autofocus button on the back, and the subject of this thread is that very reason!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote