Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:06 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 168
Default

For those who might have missed this, I got an email today announcing the release of Lightroom beta 4:

See: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom/

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2006, 2:07 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Catbells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 874
Default

It only works if XP Service Pack 2 is installed and as ths imposes too many constraints on my usage, I will miss the opportunity to evaluate it - such is life.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 3:30 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Black Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oxford, CT
Posts: 1,309
Default

Thanks for posting that Mike. i also Got the E-mail, but I could not find a link in Mine to get the Download

Phil




mgedit wrote:
Quote:
For those who might have missed this, I got an email today announcing the release of Lightroom beta 4:

See: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom/

Cheers, Mike
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 3:54 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 373
Default

I just installed it and it imports K100D RAW files just fine.
It seems faster than the previous version as well.


DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 3:57 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 1,868
Default

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
It only works if XP Service Pack 2 is installed and as ths imposes too many constraints on my usage, I will miss the opportunity to evaluate it - such is life.
Can I ask what constaints this imposes, as I also thought this, but have had SP2 for a long time now with no ill effects.





Darren


Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 6:47 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Black Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oxford, CT
Posts: 1,309
Default

Can you guys tell Me what You Mean by Constraints??

As for my experiance. I have found that it is faster, but i am still not Very fond of the interface. Also, I still don't like the Workflow. I will continue To Play and try to keep an open mind.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:31 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 79
Default

I can't think of any contraints XP SP2. It fixes quite a few bugs and of course introduced a few new bugs. But overall, it is vastly better and more secure than original XP or XP SP1. Besides, the requirement of XP SP2 is probably a common practice for software products these days. I can't think of anything LR Beta needs that original XP does not offer.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 11:58 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Catbells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 874
Default

My comments were to do with the security aspects of SP2 which create issues with pop up menus that I employ on both my web sites such that when testing out updates from HD, it asks every time if the pop up is valid & is just a pain. Once the update is published on the web, it works reasonably OK although for some reason it adds a dialogue box at the bottom thus reducing the amount of viewable image.


It was for thatreason and NO OTHER, that I reverted back to SP1 from SP2.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:56 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 79
Default

Then, did you try install LR Beta at all? It's a fantastic prorgam for batch RAW processing. Unless the setup refuse to install on SP2, I doubt it actually requires SP2 at all.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:10 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 1,868
Default

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
My comments were to do with the security aspects of SP2 which create issues with pop up menus that I employ on both my web sites such that when testing out updates from HD, it asks every time if the pop up is valid & is just a pain. Once the update is published on the web, it works reasonably OK although for some reason it adds a dialogue box at the bottom thus reducing the amount of viewable image.


It was for thatreason and NO OTHER, that I reverted back to SP1 from SP2.
Cheers guy - just being nosey, in case I had missed something.



Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:12 PM.