Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:55 PM   #1

After waiting a week or so for my giottos rocket to arrive from eBay, I blew out all the dust in just a few seconds, lol. (Well worth the wait though)
But I took the camera outside to do a few test shots and noticed there was an out of focus blob in the way of the focussing screen.
When you move the camera away from your eye slightly it comes into focus (i noticed it also comes into focus when adjuster the diopter slider)

Basically theres a vertical line straight down the centre, almost like a spiders web and towards the top there is 2 little black pod/big specs of dust type things.
Its definitely somewhere between the glass on the eyepiece and the focus screen.
Because of the dust on the sensor, I haven't used the camera that much recently and can't be sure when it first appeared.

Any ideas on what the hell this is? and how to remove it?
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:21 PM   #2

Well a blast of air with the rocket through the gap in the clip for the focusing screen got rid of the black blobs, but theres still a straight line down the centre.
Maybe its been there all along as its not very easy to see.
Can anyone confirm that a DL, with the slider all the way across to the + side, that theres a vertical line in the viewfinder.

:?
Old Sep 26, 2006, 2:34 PM   #3

In the software business, that is called an undocumented feature. Adjustable viewscreen guidelines - just use your blower to move it where you want.

On my DS, I would remove the screen and give it a puff or two. You may have to puff on the pentamirror assembly if it is stuck to the bottom. If that doesn't work, I would leave it as it is only a distraction that shouldn't affect the final image. If you find exposure or AF are affected, then you'll have to find a way to get it out.

If you must clean with fluid, don't use alcohol as some of the parts are plastic. I know that the screens and eyepiece are plastic, there may be othersinside the pentamirror. Alcohol will fog plastic.

RG
Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 8:52 PM   #4

Does any of this show up on your photographs? If it's just the focusing screen, just ignore it. It's not worth the effort and possible damage to the screen to pull it out.

And if you're seeing it through the viewfinder it's not on the sensor. The mirror, remember?
danag42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 9:14 PM   #5

I never said anything about it being on the sensor.
" Its definitely somewhere between the glass on the eyepiece and the focus screen."

Im just gonna leave it now.
The black blobs of something were an annoyance, but I blew those out of the way. This thin strand of whatever it is isn't easily noticed so I'll leave it alone until I feel the need to take out the the focus screen for cleaning, then I can get a good look and see whats going on in there.