Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 26, 2006, 6:10 AM   #11

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Crashman, excellent studies in night photography. I especially like the lighting in no. 1 and 2! Very nice! Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:38 AM   #12

Thanks Crashman for a valuable lesson in night photography

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"However, I'm sorry I couldnt find the model of your camera mentioned :O

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"New to the pentax forum....So if you could oblige, many thanks

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Hoping to see more of ur work
Chesslanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 8:10 AM   #13

nice shots, esp no.'s 2 and 5 (jmho). thanks for showing the rest ofus a bit of australia.

all the best, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 1:03 PM   #14

3, 5 and 6 appeal to me bigtime.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 1:47 PM   #15

Bob, No the light is coming from a series of floodlamps that run alonmg the top of the beach, I actually walked quite a way down the beach towards the dark area to get the lighting I preferred.

Chesslanka, sorry, I am so used to my camera I forget that other people don't know what gear I use. It is a DL, though I have my hands in my wallet waiting to get the K10D. :blah:

I doubt I will be getting anymore night shots or day shots for that mattter in and feel that was my last outing before I head overseas. If I have access to a PC and the Net, then expect some uploads from some exotics places. :G. I leave 19 days and expect to be kinda busy.

Crash.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 3:17 PM   #16

Good luck!

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:16 PM   #17

I won't even bother trying to pick a favorite, they were all great. *sigh* Everytime I feel a little satisfied with something I have learned, one of you people have to go and post something that shows me how much further I have to go. :roll:

More seriously, thanks for sharing those and you betterkeep posting. We can take up a collection for a couple of miles of Cat 5E cable to run from your grass hut to the nearest internet cafe wherever you end up.

Keep your head down and your powder dry,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 2:50 AM   #18

Crash, where are you off to?
bobinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 4:59 AM   #19

wonderful shots, just love the last two!!
danag42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 5:32 AM   #20

Bob, I leave in about 18 days. First mission is Timor Leste and then onto Solomon Islands, expect to be deployed for 2 years. 4 months on mission and 4 weeks off for 100 weeks.

If I get to see some great things, I will photograph them and post.

Tim, never give up, just give it a go.

As a starter, I found this a good way to develop. See someone elses shot and then replicate it, examples I have tried include water droplets into a bowl. You might take 30 shots but when you finish you will have an undertsanding of what is required to do that shot in the future.

Try these

1. Daytime Panning shot of a vehicle or bicycle travelling past, use around 50mm focal length and shutter of about 1/60 sec. Keep panning after taking the shot, you will get it right after a while, it is a skill worth learning.

2. A back lit subject, i.e someone standing inside a building or under cover facing the camera with outisde light behind, use either flash to fill in or set exposure for person's face and blow out the background.

3. A Night shot, use tripod, set focus to near infinity, use manual mode, ISO 400, set aperture to f8 and keep extending exposure time until you reach correct exposure (start at about 15secs), try using the 2sec timer in the menu to ensure you hand is off the camera and the mirror will lock up as well. Take the shot a few times with different WB settings to see the differences. Also try using you hot shoe flash in your hand and stand off to one side and hit the test button to set it off and try doing some paint by flash. When I worked scenes we might have used two guys walking down each side of a road flashing away over a two minute period when we were doing 35mm ASA400 film.

I remember on my Forensic course we had a list of about 20 police oriented tasks like serial numbers and photographs of fingerprints and shoe impressions, I found them a good way to learn some skills that can be applied to any shot.

As much as I can be technically correct with my photography, I still lack the artistic flair that some people on this forum display and I still bow humbly to many photographers here. We all take a good shot and we all can take a shocker too.

Enjoy.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote