Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 26, 2006, 2:04 AM   #1

I appreciate that the settings available in the DS2 to adjust the jpeg processing (sharpness saturation, and contrast) are probably similar to those found in Photoshop, but do you have a favourite setting you adjust to get a better result?

John
jmvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2006, 3:33 AM   #2

PP best done with a program designed for it.....IMO

roy
Old Sep 26, 2006, 4:38 AM   #3

I agree with robar, leave the setting on default & use a graphics package to post process - Photoshop is ideal.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 6:37 AM   #4

I don't care because I shoot exclusively into RAW

BTW, I always wonder why people are using JPEG when RAW is available?

Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:32 AM   #5

I left them at the default settings.

Edvinas I use JPEG regulalry when shooting sports as action shots do not require quite the same quality of image as landscape and portrait work.

Last weekend out I shot over a thousand images over four days in jpeg that took four 1 GB memory cards.

Also the time to download and categorise large numbers of images is much quicker in jpeg, important when they are intended for publication.

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 9:46 AM   #6

My personal preference (I shoot about 90% JPEG, and get great 8 x 10" enlargements, BTW) is to set Saturation 0, Contrast -1, and Sharpness +1. I also use Natural Mode, not Bright Mode. That gives me a result I can easily tweak to taste in PS. Often I'll do a final sharpening in PS with 0.3 Radius and 200-300%.

Try and see for yourself.

Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:19 AM   #7

I consider myself a beginner in the game. So I choose to shoot in JPEG till I get the art mastered. I tried RAW and I found I had just too much to cope with...learning light, composition, post processing etc.

My goal is to first master photo taking with minimal post processing. Fir me I belive this will force me to think first rather then post process. With that in mind I shoot in the natural mode and use a +1 in sharpening.

Once I feel comfortable with my skills, then I will switch to RAW...by then I believe I would have mastered enough skill to continue to post process - but minimally.

So there it is...why I shoot JPEG

F
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:23 AM   #8

Same here.

robar wrote:
Quote:
PP best done with a program designed for it.....IMO

roy
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:24 AM   #9

Very wise. Film or digital, learn to make photographs first, then do the fancy stuff. But you'll end up using RAW if you get deep into it.

fghouse2000 wrote:
Quote:
v
My goal is to first master photo taking with minimal post processing. Fir me I belive this will force me to think first rather then post process

F
danag42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:43 PM   #10

I use jpeg because I hardly print out anything that I shoot, everything that I shoot is only displayed online. So for me there is no need for me to shoot raw and spend the extra time coverting it to jpeg. I see little difference in quality on the screen unless if I zoom in close.

I just leave everything at defualt
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote