Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:12 AM   #1

Well the question is self-explanatory. A double-sided tape inside the well where the sensor should get majority of dust ( if any generated while changing lens).
Poor man anti-dust solution?
Or dumb move?

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:17 AM   #2

I actually wondered the same thing. It sounds good in theory, but I would be afraid to do it. With my luck, the adhesive holding the tape to the camera body would let go and I'd have a loose object bouncing around in there. It could get in the way of something and do serious damage.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:28 AM   #3

Are we all gadgetnuts?
It is very unlikely any adhesive tape could come off that easily in such an isolated space. That area is open to the sensor really short in time duration:split second.
I think the only loose object is probably dust only. You can check out the stickiness once a month and that should be more than enough.

Daniel

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
I actually wondered the same thing. It sounds good in theory, but I would be afraid to do it. With my luck, the adhesive holding the tape to the camera body would let go and I'd have a loose object bouncing around in there. It could get in the way of something and do serious damage.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:42 AM   #4

I was going to reply with just "no", but really ..ugh

dont use double sided tape. You never know what sort of residue it would leave behind.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:51 AM   #5

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Are we all gadgetnuts?
It is very unlikely any adhesive tape could come off that easily in such an isolated space. That area is open to the sensor really short in time duration:split second.
I think the only loose object is probably dust only. You can check out the stickiness once a month and that should be more than enough.

Daniel
I've used double-sided tape in dozens of applications. Sometimes it stickswonderfully and you literally have to scrape it off. Other times it will just let go for no apparent reason. If you are willing to chance it with your camera, be my guest. I'm not taking the chance.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:58 AM   #6

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Well the question is self-explanatory. A double-sided tape inside the well where the sensor should get majority of dust ( if any generated while changing lens).
Or dumb move?

Daniel
So, how can the dust be shaken off before they can utlimately reach your tape??

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:33 AM   #7

The residue, if any , will only be on the wall of the cavity where the sensor is. I cannot see any harm can be done. It should catch a lot of dust. Put one on your desk and after a couple of days you will see a lot more dust on the sticky side than on the rest of your desk. The dust catching mechanism is proven. The only thing I have to worry is about it coming off prematurely. Checking and ensuring it be steadfast biweekly would be foolproof.

Daniel

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
I was going to reply with just "no", but really ..ugh

dont use double sided tape. You never know what sort of residue it would leave behind.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:36 AM   #8

I said anti-dust. It is not about shaking off dust.
Leave a double side tape on your desk. After a week, I am sure it will get more dust than the rest of the desk. Would that argument be naive? If that is dumb, say it out loud and prove it.

Daniel

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Or dumb move?

Daniel
So, how can the dust be shaken off before they can utlimately reach your tape??

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
Old Sep 28, 2006, 1:03 PM   #9

I can see the logic of it. A lot of people comment on blowing off the dust on the sensor with a pocket rocket blower and so forth. Then where does the dust go? It sits inside the camera waiting for the next shake and rattle of movement to dislodge it and it heads for the lovely statically charged sensor.:X

I suppose if you had the sticky tape there it would catch the dust that is blown off the sensor...possibly, ..sort of. :roll::roll:
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 3:57 PM   #10

But how do you get rid of the tape when its full of dust and needs to be replaced?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote