Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 29, 2006, 7:17 PM   #11

I bought the SD cards through newegg (both had rebates and were new items). Not worth going for used SD cards with new ones so cheap. Of course, now that I'm going to be shooting RAW, maybe those 2GB/4GB SD cards will come in handy. Wonder when yhey'll drop in price, eh?
themacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:46 PM   #12

oreo57 wrote:
Quote:
While your bottom feeding, one advantage to the DS is you can use plain vanilla TTL flashes... Not useable (TTL that is, manual or "auto" is fine I guess) with the new breed P-TTL only cameras... Will need to watch out for high trigger voltages on some old flashes though. Not sure I would have made the same choice, SR would be a benefit for me I think, and an overridding decision point.... though it would have definitely cost me a much bigger chunk of change because of the flash thing.........choices, choices.
Always thought the pentamirror was a tad brighter, but smaller. Though most do say it's easier to AF w/ the pentaprism..... hmmmm.

Your comment about plain vanilla flashes is very interesting-just bought a DS-looking for a flash-have (2) old Vivitar 283 which are still in good condition-I used them with my old Pentax Super Programs-the DS manual states you should only use Pentax Flashes? Any info would be helpful.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 2:12 AM   #13

K100D and *ist DS shootout here:-

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/K1...ll_Review.html

I bought a K100D and have sold out my DS, enough said.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh

themacguy wrote:
Quote:
I know this probably belongs in the "which camera should I buy" forum but it seemed more productive to put it right here in the Pentax DSLR forum.

I was ready to buy the K100D but I'm finally understanding the differences between the pentamirror (smaller image, dimmer) and pentaprism (larger image, brighter). While I appreciate AF, I know my wife will demand MF at least as good as her old SRT102 Minolta.

While there are still new ist*DS kits out there (at about the same price as the K110D kit), I am thinking that the "older" camera might be better for us. I know the K110D doesn't have the SR feature but not having one isn't a deal-breaker for me.

What do y'all think? Any owners of both pentamirror and pentaprism cameras care to chime in?

Thanks in advance,
Barry
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:28 PM   #14

Some 283's have very high trigger voltages and could possiblty fry your camera.

See this:

Older units have been reported as high as 600V!
Recent (post-'87) revised 283's ("Made in China") are safer with modern cameras, running around 9-10V. Bob Atkins reports some as low as 5V. Recently units marked "Made in Korea" have also appeared... measured at 8v by Andrew Cassino and Tony Bonanno.
Kevin Omura used a Quantum battery and got a hefty 261.4V out of his (sn3012330), while
Göran Samuelsson had two units with different voltages: 230V and 190V.

I'd post a link to a chart but it seems it won't "stick" Just do a search for flash trigger voltages in google...
DMJJR wrote: [/b]

Quote:
oreo57 wrote:
Quote:
While your bottom feeding, one advantage to the DS is you can use plain vanilla TTL flashes... Not useable (TTL that is, manual or "auto" is fine I guess) with the new breed P-TTL only cameras... Will need to watch out for high trigger voltages on some old flashes though. Not sure I would have made the same choice, SR would be a benefit for me I think, and an overridding decision point.... though it would have definitely cost me a much bigger chunk of change because of the flash thing.........choices, choices.
Always thought the pentamirror was a tad brighter, but smaller. Though most do say it's easier to AF w/ the pentaprism..... hmmmm.

Your comment about plain vanilla flashes is very interesting-just bought a DS-looking for a flash-have (2) old Vivitar 283 which are still in good condition-I used them with my old Pentax Super Programs-the DS manual states you should only use Pentax Flashes? Any info would be helpful.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:35 AM   #15

Regarding flash units:

I've found a "cold shoe" flash adapter. The bottom slides/locks onto the camera's hot shoe while the top has a metal shoe that permits the flash to mount. However, the flash is not electrically connected to the camera via the shoe. Instead, the side of the shoe has a PC sync socket.

My intent is to mount the DS onto an old Sunpak grip with a hot-shoe flash (an old Sunpak Auto 433D with a GN of about 160 at ISO200) and use the grip's PC cable to plug into the adapter that I mount on the camera's hot shoe.

With all the discussion of the high-voltage issues one might encounter with older flashes, does the PC sync cable arrangement eliminate the problem?

Comments and discussion most welcome.

Thanks,
Barry
Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:43 AM   #16

The DS should arrive by Friday. Also ordered (from a number of sources):

18-55 Pentax "kit" lens.
28-90 Tamron AF.
28-105 Sigma AF [f2.8] - if it's okay, I'll be selling the Tamron as then it won't be
necessary.
70-210 Vivitar (KA but manual focus).

I also found a monopod; I have a few tripods already. I'm sure I'll need to get a few new sets of NiMH AA's.

My wife is starting to get excited about this. She had thought the DS was the size and weight of her old Minolta SRT but I showed her a photo of it sitting in the palm of a hand and she's calmed down. (Still might have to get her a tiny point&shoot for her purse when she's traveling light.)

Have to dig up everything I learned back at the Art Institute 30+ years ago!

Barry

Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:09 AM   #17

I doubt that this would decrease any high voltage in the trigger circuit, if present.You would need something like this:

Wein safe sync.

themacguy wrote: [/b]

Quote:
Regarding flash units:

I've found a "cold shoe" flash adapter. The bottom slides/locks onto the camera's hot shoe while the top has a metal shoe that permits the flash to mount. However, the flash is not electrically connected to the camera via the shoe. Instead, the side of the shoe has a PC sync socket.

My intent is to mount the DS onto an old Sunpak grip with a hot-shoe flash (an old Sunpak Auto 433D with a GN of about 160 at ISO200) and use the grip's PC cable to plug into the adapter that I mount on the camera's hot shoe.

With all the discussion of the high-voltage issues one might encounter with older flashes, does the PC sync cable arrangement eliminate the problem?

Comments and discussion most welcome.

Thanks,
Barry
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote