Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 28, 2006, 8:52 AM   #1

I know this probably belongs in the "which camera should I buy" forum but it seemed more productive to put it right here in the Pentax DSLR forum.

I was ready to buy the K100D but I'm finally understanding the differences between the pentamirror (smaller image, dimmer) and pentaprism (larger image, brighter). While I appreciate AF, I know my wife will demand MF at least as good as her old SRT102 Minolta.

While there are still new ist*DS kits out there (at about the same price as the K110D kit), I am thinking that the "older" camera might be better for us. I know the K110D doesn't have the SR feature but not having one isn't a deal-breaker for me.

What do y'all think? Any owners of both pentamirror and pentaprism cameras care to chime in?

Thanks in advance,
Barry
themacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:00 AM   #2

The K100D/K110D processes images better than the DS, and the pentamirror isn't all that much different than the pentaprism.

I would get the K100D for the little price difference.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 11:46 AM   #3

I own the DS and i agree with Tom. Go with the K100D
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 11:46 AM   #4

Sorry double post
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 11:59 AM   #5

I am switching back and forward between the DL and the DS (also still have a D). In my personal opinion the Penta Prism makes a huge difference, specially when you doing 90 percent manual focus (like me). For macro work i am having a really hard time with the small view finder.

The image quality being better is in JPG only. Once you take pictures in RAW there is no difference between the K100D and any of the *ist Series.

The shake reduction, well that's one thing I wish my *ist models had....
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:58 PM   #6

I have both a DS and a K100D. Just my opinion, but I don't notice all that much difference between manual focus between the 2 cameras. The one thing I do notice is that it's harder to see the numbers on the K100D in bright light- that bottom line is smaller, and the eye cup is different (not as good). I do a fair amount of manual focus and it takes practice with either camera. It helps to have a really sharp lens on either camera.

And I sure like the SR on the K100D - last night I was taking pictures in a poorly let living room for a friend of mine. My kit lens is on the DS and beyond reach at the moment, so I was using a 24mm manual lens. I don't think the on-board flash will work right with manual lenses, at least I couldn't get it to work, so I was stuck taking them with available light. Most came out without any camera shake, shocking because the fastest shutter speed was 1/8 sec., and the manual white balance sure helped.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 3:51 PM   #7

Bought the DS in early August of this year-along with the DA 50-200 and the DA 40 2.8. So far the quality has been amazing. Being 59 years old with bad eyes-the viewfinder was one of the most important factors-and it didn't disappoint. Bought the camera kit on Ebay and used the saved money for part of the other lenses. I really don't care about shake reduction so that isn't a factor for me. Just learning about RAW-using Elements 3.0 with the Plug-in to process.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:19 AM   #8

Thanks to all who responded to my query.

While I'm usually the one who goes for the latest and greatest, I decided to go with the DS for the viewfinder (95% vs 85%, pentaprism vs pentamirror). I played with the DL (yes, DL) at the local CircuitCity and compared it to a pentaprism model from, IIRC, Nikon (CC in El Paso doesn't carry the DS and now no longer carries any Pentax DSLR).

Taking someone's advice from this forum (sorry; don't remember who), I bought the (new) DS body from Tri-State's eBay store rather than from their "regular" website. Not only was it cheaper on eBay but there was no requirement that I buy their SD card.

I've been, umm, bottom-feeding at eBay for the better part of a month and have purchased a Vivitar 70-210/3.8, a Tamron 28-80/3.5, and have bids on a few other lenses including the 18-55/3.5 kit lens. I already bought 1GB and 512MB SD cards (both with huge rebates) so, as soon as the DS arrives (which probably won't be until after next weekend as it's coming UPS Ground and won't ship until Tuesday), I'm ready to start training both myself and my wife. Did I mention that this is a birthday gift for my wife? Maybe she'll let me sell her Minolta SRT201 (that we haven't used in 20 years).

Anyway, thanks again to all here in the foum. I'm learning new tricks.

Barry
themacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:07 PM   #9

that's a very handy trick, buying a new camera and telling your wife it's for her, saves on explaining all the cost. now you just need to explain to her why you using it more than she is. :blah:

vivitar is a very good lens (assuming it's series 1).
I'd be carefull about SD cards. there's a lot of fakes on ebay (I bought one). after you get them check if thay are really 1GB and 512 MB. if they were rally cheap (like half the regular price) you probably got fake. it's OK if you went for regular card and it is 1GB, not one of extreme or high speed from Sandisk (these are just cheap imitations with low speed).

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:27 PM   #10

While your bottom feeding, one advantage to the DS is you can use plain vanilla TTL flashes... Not useable (TTL that is, manual or "auto" is fine I guess) with the new breed P-TTL only cameras... Will need to watch out for high trigger voltages on some old flashes though. Not sure I would have made the same choice, SR would be a benefit for me I think, and an overridding decision point.... though it would have definitely cost me a much bigger chunk of change because of the flash thing.........choices, choices.
Always thought the pentamirror was a tad brighter, but smaller. Though most do say it's easier to AF w/ the pentaprism..... hmmmm.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote