Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 28, 2006, 1:57 PM   #1

I was surfing the web, looking at lenses for my *ist DL and found the Ritz had the 80-200 zoom on sale - close out, for ~ $85 and thought wow! SoI called the local store and asked if they had it, and if they matched the web price. Well, yes, they had it, but their in store price was (drum roll) $75! So I went down, and it is actually an FA series, so not only will it work on the DL, but on my old K1000. Plus, it is a metal lens, solid and with nice smooth focus and zoom rings.

So, tomorrow I leave for 6 weeks in Malaysia with a new *ist, the kit lens, the 80-200, and my old K1000 50mm F2, and 135mm F2.5.

I'm pretty excited - and the think, I was just doing anI wonder search!!!

Rick
AZRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2006, 8:51 PM   #2

Travel safely and let us know what you think of that lens when you get back! Looking forward to some more good pics from places I have never been.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:25 PM   #3

i'm curious also. i've got the M80-200 f4.5 and the A70-210 f4..
i'd like to see a couple of images from the FA at f4 so i can compare them to these two lenses.....

roy
Old Sep 28, 2006, 11:30 PM   #4

I hope to get lots of pix. Both Hindu and Moslem New Year celebrations occur while I am there. Lots of color. That's on top of the scenery. I am travelling on business, but we endevour to make good use of free time :-)
Old Sep 29, 2006, 7:59 AM   #5

robar wrote:
Quote:
i'm curious also. i've got the M80-200 f4.5 and the A70-210 f4..
i'd like to see a couple of images from the FA at f4 so i can compare them to these two lenses.....

roy

You can't. The FA 80-200 starts from F4.7to 5.6. From the review I saw, it is on par with M80-200/4.5. Both are below average lens in Pentax lens line up.

Your A70-210/4 should blow both out of water easily. A70-210 and F70-210 are the only consumer level old Pentax longtelephoto lenses worth to buy. Anything else is better served by the new DA 50-200.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 1:43 AM   #6

Quote:
... The FA 80-200 starts from F4.7to 5.6. From the review I saw, it is on par with M80-200/4.5. Both are below average lens in Pentax lens line up.

... A70-210 and F70-210 are the only consumer level old Pentax longtelephoto lenses worth to buy. Anything else is better served by the new DA 50-200.
So was it a mistake buying that lens? I thought it was a pretty good deal, but your comments suggest I made a mistake??

Rick
Old Oct 1, 2006, 8:38 AM   #7

AZRick wrote:
Quote:
So was it a mistake buying that lens? I thought it was a pretty good deal, but your comments suggest I made a mistake??

Rick
not at all.. i would stilllike to see some pix wide open from the FA.
the 70-210mm blows my M200 f4 prime out of the water. it's one of the best zooms pentax made except for the * series. it is rather bulky tho. have a great time on your trip and we all await your imaging results.

roy
Old Oct 1, 2006, 3:37 PM   #8

AZRick wrote:
Quote:

Rick
Rick, the only person that lens has to please is you. If, after experimenting with it, you decide it does not meet your needs I would say it is still not a "mistake" but a learning experience. I have taken a number of shots that pleased me out of a $25.00 Sigma 28-80 that is not considered to be a very good lens either. I also am still interested in seeing some shots and hearing your impressions after your vacation. Remember that not everyone takes the same kind of photos nor does everyone have the same requirements. Have a good trip.

Tim
Old Oct 1, 2006, 3:47 PM   #9

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
of a $25.00 Sigma 28-80 that is not considered to be a very good lens either. I also am still interested in seeing some shots and hearing your impressions after your vacation. Tim
tim,
was it you that bought my s28-80mm??
i sold one on ebay recently.. not a great lens but certainly worth 25usd. i got some GREAT pix of my dogs with it.

roy
Old Oct 1, 2006, 4:00 PM   #10

I did buy mine of ebay Roy, but it was from someone in PA. I had it out on the camera again today when I spotted a spider eating a love bug. You know, maybe we should have a thread on favorite lenses.

Tim