Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 29, 2006, 5:53 PM   #1

It seems I spoke too soon about the 24-135 Sigma I got last week. It was working fine until monday morning when I was shooting a pre-wedding ceremony my friend had. I noticed that the menu screens kept popping off, not allowing me to set WB etc.I removed the lens, then put it back on and it started working again. Today when I went to use it, same thing. The menu would appear for a few seconds and then gone to the either. I removed the lens, put it back on, nothing. Repeated the process a few times and then it worked. At least for now. Problem is I have a wedding to shoot next Saturday(my first)and if I return it Ill never get the replacement in time, but can I rely on the lens? It seems to work even during the menu problem and seems to allow me to set the ap in AV mode. I'm thinking I might try using it with the kit lens as backup for the wedding then sending it off to Sigma for repair.

Heres a pic taken with it at my moms church picnic last Sunday. I love the lens, and actually like the heft of the thing. Hope it makes it through the wedding though
Attached Images

Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2006, 6:12 PM   #2

I've been looking for info on What the lens does (electonically) that makes people disappointed in it. Like your photo, the results I've seen look great. Regarding your problem, it almost sounds like a contact problem. That is, the lens isn't communicating with the body (and this is a stretch, I know) due to poor electrical contact on one or more of the tabs. Can you possibly tell me how mechanical contact is supposed to be made? That is, are there sprung contacts on the lens (or camera body) or are they rigid?
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 6:37 AM   #3

Spiritbro77,

Too bad that had to start happening, mine still works fine. I would try it at the wedding but only for posed shots that can be redone if the need arises. When I shot a wedding in July I used the kit lens for the church ceremony because I feared that my lens may start to act like the others at the worst possible time.

Only advice I can give is to clean the electrical contacts on the lens (the ones around the outside flange of the mount). A pencil eraser (watch out for residue) can be used to clean the surface and a very small amount of denatured alcohol on a cotton swap to wipe them off after wards. Don't get anything inside the lens and don't leave marks that may void the warranty. Let the lens dry out thoroughly before mounting it on the camera and cross your fingers, however even if this works I would not trust the lens for parts of the wedding that cannot be re-shot.

Optically this is a very good lens giving sharp results, and mechanically it is much nicer to manually focus than most AF lenses, but does suffer from lens creep. It is still the most frequently used lens in my collection and, despite my concerns, it has never let me down.

Good luck

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 9:55 AM   #4

I went out and used it yesterday. Of course I wasnt using the menu after initial set up. Worked fine. Pics weren't great due to the photographer(me) lol but the lens worked great. Nice clear shots. I will take your advice and use it for the posed shots and do the ceremony with the kit lens.Not really sure she wants me to be snapping pics while they say the I do's anyway lol Another question I need answered. Thanks for the response and I will clean the contacts as you describe. I really love this lens, and even like the weight of it. Feels substantial in my hands. Oh well, off to buy a suit to look presentable at the wedding(Im a jeans and t-shirt guy so don't own one ATM)
Old Sep 30, 2006, 3:44 PM   #5

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for that issue. So far mine has been working well, but I haven't had a chance to take a lot of pictures with it yet because of the general crappy weather we have been having lately around here. The days that are nice enough to get out, I just can't get out because of the kidlins.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:09 PM   #6

My lens(24-135) has this problem all works fine except when you want to change menu or FN settings. In a jam I disconnect the lens but keep it on the camera(dust) and change settings. I will be sending mine to SIGMA for service. I really like this lens except when using on camera flash(shadows).
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 6:29 PM   #7

Hey, now there's an idea. Thanks for the tip. I was wondering if I set the menu/WB with another lens on it if the settings would remain when changing lenses but this would work even better.