Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 30, 2006, 8:09 PM   #1

Our local squirrels are colored differently than many western squirrels. The common ones around Los Angeles have brown through their coats, but ours are all grey. There are several that are around most of the time, but they are shy, we don't feed them and I've never managed to get a decent photo. However, that A* 300 lens makes a huge difference! I was sitting on the ground in my yard, taking macro pictures when this fellow stopped to pose. I slowly changed lenses and managed to get a couple of photos before he took off. It's cloudy and in the shade so I had a smaller aperture than I would have liked, but thought this one came out all right.

Does anyone else have interesting, different squirrels around?
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2006, 9:03 PM   #2

Nice shot--quite the tail on that one.
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 9:17 PM   #3

Actually, that looks exactly like a common eastern squirrel gray tree rat that I would find anywhere here in FL. We also have what is called a fox squirrel, it is larger and brown and somewhat rare. I would love to see a pic of your more common squirrel. BTW, that is a very nice shot, I like it.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:26 PM   #4

The more common squirrel found all over Los Angeles and other places. This one is one of several that hang out around our office and is quite the brave begger. There are some picnic tables in front of the building and these squirrels will get on the table when you are eating. The ones around our house are much more timid.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:27 PM   #5

Looks like the Grey Squirrels we have around here in WI, but ours are just a bit browner. No it hasn't started to snow yet here, this is a shot from last winter.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 3:13 AM   #6

Harriet, that first picture is really a hit! You must be happy with that lens!:-) :-)

I'm also a happy person, but not happy about not having that lens!

BTW, for some reason there are very few squirrels around, we see one once or twice a year. A petty, because they are really nice animals.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 7:38 AM   #7

The browns are in the city & the greys are in the country ... that's interesting! Around here, all that you'll find in town are the greys & you only find the browns in rural & heavily wooded areas. Sorry no pics at this time.

Harriet, is it safe to assume that all is well with your home in reguard to the fire? Everytime that I see a news update about it, I couldn't help but wonder. Hope all is well!

Ron

wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 8:00 AM   #8

great shots H.. the 1st one at 1/125sec is amazing. looks like you're getting the hang of it.

roy
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:46 AM   #9

Most of ours are black although (see this andnext post, we do have the greys. Not often we see the reds - matter of fact I don't think I've ever seen one locally.

Attached Images

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:49 AM   #10

They are nothing but rodents of the trees. They scare-off the birds and eat their food. They're never happy with what they get. Sometimes I feel like strangling them.

Attached Images

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote