Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:35 AM   #11

Tough question:
First my "consumer" zooms.

I use the Sigma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 the most because of its excellent zoom range, it is also a step above the typical "consumer" zoom.
I find the DA 18-55mm kit lens very handy and reasonably sharp, only complaint is the vignetting at 18mm but it is my only true wide angle.
I use the FA 100-300mm f4.7-5.8 very useful for birds and other wildlife, light weight and reasonable performance.
The A 70-210mm f4 is my sharpest zoom, I use it when speed is not an issue and I want the best quality, it is also my best near-macro lens.

My Primes:

I use the M 50mm f1.7 quite a bit, I would use this lens far more often if it were an A, F or FA model. This is without a doubt my sharpest lens.
I use the 28mm f2.8 Rikenon XR as a hyperfocal lens with external flash. No focus delay, just point and shoot, the DOF takes care of the rest.

Most of my other lenses see only occasional use.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 4:35 PM   #12

Some stupid questions -

What are prime lenses?

Can someone explain in simple terms what the different F 2.8 as opposed to F4- 5.6, etc mean on the lens?

I am wanting the 50-200 because it is a small lens physically. I'm afraid if I have a long lens I won't be using it as often. Is the 60-250 that is coming a small length (physically) lens? That would give me to 375 range. Or, would the price be out of my range at those specs?

I only have the 18-55 right now. But, am wanting more zoom. I will probably be zoom hungry even with the 50-200 and end up wanting more eventually.

I'm using the rebate as an incentive to have my husband let me get the lens now as opposed to later.

Thanks for any input. I have learned a lot from all the posts on these forums. But, still have a lot more to learn. (As you can tell from my questions. :-)
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:24 PM   #13

nhmom,

A prime lens is set at one focal length, a 50mm lens is a prime, a 50-200 is a zoom. Primes are generally considered to be better at their focal length than an equivalent quality zoom at the same focal length. The f stops are a measure of the aperture opening. A smaller number (say f 2.8) is a larger opening than a larger number. The larger the aperture the more light is allowed into the camera and the more light allowed into the camer the faster your shutter speed can be.

I think the 50-200 is a very nice lens. I like it better than the 18-55mm and much better than my 70-300.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:26 PM   #14

Prime lenses are non zoom lenses. They have one fixed focal lenght, i e 50 mm or 135 mm. Generally they are sharper and give pictures with more contrast. But a high quality zoom might be better than a cheap prime in these respects. And five primes weighs a lot more than one zoom when you carry them in a shoulder bag.
The F-number stands for largest aperture (the opening that lets the light through the lens and onto the sensor) A larger aperture makes it possible to shoot with a shorter exposure time to avoid shake blurred pictures. The lower the number, the larger the opening. And the more expensive the lens.

About the 60-250 we will know when we see it. The 50-200 is regarded highly amongst those who have it.

Husbands and wives normally takes some tweaking to work perfectly.

Keep on asking, we're here to help.

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:33 PM   #15

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Tim

You cannot expect too much of a consumer zoom. I believe (I do not have one) it is a decent lens like my FA j 75-300 Pentax . If you need to use its extreme end at 300mm make sure it is at or above F8 and with ideal lighting situation. Otherwise it is soft and in some bad case, not useable at all. It is a cheap solution for 300mm. Provided that you use it selectively, it is ok at least to me
My FA J 75-300 at its best at 300mm
http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/image/64949144/original (huge file for demo)
Try that with your Tamron before you pass judgment.

Daniel
Hi Daniel,
Yes, hanging out here with all you people with * lenses is giving me champagne taste but still leaving me with a beer budget. I have used it stopped down to F8 but it still disappoints me. Admittedly, some of my problem still might relate to my inexperience. I really should just bite the bullet and start shopping for a good 300mm prime because I find most of my use of the zoom is at 250-300mm. I might also have gotten a bad example, I bought it used and it could be why the previous owner let it go. In the end, the most likely problem is that I have now seen what really good lenses can do and I am comparing every picture I take to the ones I see here (and the ones I get from my 50/1.7.

Tim
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:32 PM   #16

My BAD:sad:

Edvinas

Thank You. I stand Corrected. Yes i was refering to the 50-135 2.8.

NHMOM

Sorry For the Confusion!
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:37 PM   #17

Thank you for the explanations. So, the 4 represents f4 for the 50 mm end and the 5.6 for the 200 mm. So, it's not wonderful for a large opening like a 2 would be, but sufficient.

Now that I'm home and "thinking" it through, I remember my instructor explaining that to us in my one photography class I've ever taken. I am enjoying having the digital SLR as I can see immediately if what I was attempting to do worked. My husband always fusses about how much film developing costs and it might take me two months to get through a roll of film to see the outcome of an experiment. No more!

I think I will just get the 50-200 and start enjoying the zoom now. Sorry to change the subject on the original topic. When I was seeing all the lenses you guys have I figured you would know the answers to my questions.

Thanks, Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:54 PM   #18

Iuse the 18-55 kit lens most as it is a convienent range.

I also have
  • 50mm F2 "kit" lens from my k1000 - not used much [/*]
  • 135m F2.5 (also from k1000) - love it for high school football games [/*]
  • 80-200 F4-5.6 FA i bought last week - so far so good. Time will tell.[/*]
However,I only have had the camera a month or so - Will see what I use on this Malaysia trip I am on.......

Rick
AZRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 8:53 PM   #19

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
danielchtong wrote: Hi Daniel,
Yes, hanging out here with all you people with * lenses is giving me champagne taste but still leaving me with a beer budget.* I have used it stopped down to F8 but it still disappoints me.* Admittedly, some of my problem still might relate to my inexperience.* I really should just bite the bullet and start shopping for a good 300mm prime because I find most of my use of the zoom is at 250-300mm.* I might also have gotten a bad example, I bought it used and it could be why the previous owner let it go.* In the end, the most likely problem is that I have now seen what really good lenses can do and I am comparing every picture I take to the ones I see here (and the ones I get from my 50/1.7.

Tim
I have a grand total of one A*300mm F4. Nowhere in price and convenience compared with F*, FA* lens or any 300mm prime at F2.8. As you can see I have most focal length covered with prime. That is about it. If you shoot mainly 250-300mm, keep an eye on the new DA*80-250mm2.8 which is arguably more updated in design and cheaper without aperture ring. If you keep comparing pict with your 50mm 1.7 which is also legendary in performance, you may be in huge LBA trouble shortly.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:20 PM   #20

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
If you shoot mainly 250-300mm, keep an eye on the new DA*80-250mm2.8 which is arguably more updated in design and cheaper without aperture ring. Daniel
Thanks Daniel, that will be one I keep an eye on. I also think I am going to try to aquire some nice primes like you have. From what I have seen, there are still plenty of prime lenses in the under 200mm category that sell fairly inexpensively used, I just need to identify which ones are good ones. My two favorite lenses are primes,I think you pursued a good strategy. A nice 135mm is next on my list.

Quote:
If you keep comparing pict with your 50mm 1.7 which is also legendary in performance, you may be in huge LBA trouble shortly.

Daniel
I think I already am in LBA crisis, is there a 12 step program for this? Hello, my name is Tim . . . The good news for me is that my wife and I have already determined that one Dslr between two people is not enough so I think there will be a K10 in my future. If I end up with enough lenses for two full kits things will work out just perfect.

Tim