Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 2, 2006, 6:24 PM   #1

I'm 99% committed....

..to buying the K10D , after the stellar review and some sample low noise 1600 images ;-) I just wanted some opinions on the lenses I've considered for a start. I'm sure LBA will kick in soon thereafter! But for starters, what do you think of the kit lens plus the Pentax SMCP-DA 50-200/4-5.6 ED F along with the Sigma AF 70-300 APO Macro DG? Or how about the Sigma APO 135-400 DG 4.5-5.6, it's kinda pricey but I like the lengh and since I already will have the Pentax DA, I figure I've got all lenghts covered..lol. I really would like a longer zoom but I am still looking around this forum and other sites and can't find any rave reviews for a maybe 400-500 zoom lens ( not prime ) in the $500 range. Any suggestions? I mainly like to take nature pics, macro and like birding too. Will either Sigma be fast enough for birding? I also have a Nikon 1.7 teleconverter that I hope I can use with the longer zoom. I rarley shoot WA, so I think for starters, the kit lens will be fine. I realize you get what you pay for so thats why I've picked these, many good reviews here and other sites. Please give some feedback on my choices and suggestions for something better/different! I've been eyeing this forum since the announcment of the K10D and find it as friendly and helpful or more so than my previous/ongoing forum for Panasonic.
waynespixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2006, 6:49 PM   #2

Hi

I cannot Speak to all your questions. However, I Think that the K10 and the kit Is a good starting point. But To Buy Both the DA50-200 and the Sigma 70-300DG is a bit over kill. You basically have Two Lenses that Cover the Same range.
While its your choice, I would take one or the other.
As to the Sigma Being a good lense With the teleconverter. Just Keep In mind that you add the teleconverter and you add between 1.5 and two stops to the Lense. So for pictures to Be great, you will need a very Bright day. Not saying it cannot Be Done, just be aware.
Having said all the above I love my Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro and would highly reccommend it.

Just my two cents

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 6:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply BK. You may have a point about overkill. How big is the 70-300? I'm used to the FZ30 with the Nikon attached and that's about 7" from the body and kinda heavy. Do you have any suggestions for a longer zoom with good quality, maybe up to 400mm. If I skip the 50-200 thats more I can spend on a quality long zoom!

Thanks, Wayne
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:04 PM   #4

If you want a really long zoom Crashman has posted some very impressive pics from his Tamron 200-500. I would recommend the 50-200 as a worthwhile purchase, especially if you can find a good deal on the package with the camera. Not too many dealers were carrying the K100d and two lens kit but when I found one it only cost me about $75 moreto include the50-200 and the lens has been well worth the price.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:12 PM   #5

Thanks Tim, and yes, I've heard good things about that one too, sounds like ( for me ) a good walk around lens. But I still want more reach for birding. How about if I just got the kit and one high quality long range zoom, I figure my budget to be around 1750-2000 for the cam and a great zoom.....any suggestions?

Wayne
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:37 PM   #6

waynespixels wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Tim, and yes, I've heard good things about that one too, sounds like ( for me ) a good walk around lens. But I still want more reach for birding. How about if I just got the kit and one high quality long range zoom, I figure my budget to be around 1750-2000 for the cam and a great zoom.....any suggestions?

Wayne
Not from personal experience, I am pretty new to this too and I am still hunting a 70-300mm zoom that I can be happy with. I can say that the photos Crash posted were exquisite and he raves about the lens. Hopefully Crash can chime in if he is not too busy packing. If you search back through the archives it was fairly recently he made a couple of posts using the lens.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 8:25 PM   #7

Is this the "great" 300mm lens? Or the cheap version?

SMC PENTAX-FA 100-300mm F4.5(5.6)
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:12 PM   #8

Hi Wayne

The lense weights approx 1.3Lbs. Closed not counting the body Its about 5". At 300MM its About 8" long. Again not counting the Body
Hope this helps

waynespixels wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply BK. You may have a point about overkill. How big is the 70-300? I'm used to the FZ30 with the Nikon attached and that's about 7" from the body and kinda heavy. Do you have any suggestions for a longer zoom with good quality, maybe up to 400mm. If I skip the 50-200 thats more I can spend on a quality long zoom!

Thanks, Wayne
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:02 AM   #9

I would go with a Sigma APO 135-400 DG 4.5-5.6 or the Sigma AF 70-300 APO Macro DG, both lenses are AF and will give you good range, especially if you are wanting to go birding.

As Tim said, I have the Tamron SO 200-500 f/5.6 and I am very happy with the lens for the range and quality it gives me.

I bought the lens for a fraction of the price and consider that I got a good deal. The downs side is it is big and heavy and for some manual focusing, for me is not an issue as I consider it the only way to shoot pics.

Crash
Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:32 AM   #10

Hi waynespixels,

read your message with interest.
The K10D is a camera I will probably buy too.

You wrote about some low noise samples at 1600 ISO.
Could you please post the link here?

In fact that is the only question I have yet: How the Pentax will be at higher ISOs. And that is the main reason why I didn't buy the the Sony Alpha. (Besides the weatherproof-advantage of course :-))

Thanks for your help in advance
Perhaps you have some more informations about the camera?
stefan the user is offline   Reply With Quote