Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:44 PM   #1

Okay, I've decided to get the 50-200 mm lens. Now to figure out where from.

As of today, Abe's of Maine is cheapest including shipping at $218.85 using pricegrabber.com. Any potential problems using them or should I stick with someone like 17th St Photo ($231.62)? It's only $13, so does it really make a difference?

I bought my camera in a store, but since I know what I want this time, I'm willing to buy online.

Thanks.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:49 PM   #2

There are several on ebay for $213 shipped and one for $199 shipped. I have not done business with any of the sellers, though, so I can't help you there.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:40 PM   #3

Hi nhmom

Glad to see you decided on a lense. Now where to Buy. Dont know much about 17th Street Photo. Abes of Maine is Another story. They have been rated very poorly And many people have had problems With them. They are actually located In NYC.
I checked B&H and they are currently out of Stock, but it is $229 -$50 Mail in rebate.
I Buy most of my lenses from them.
Another good place to buy is Adorama camera. Its also listed on Amazon.com for $234.
There may be others but these are Amoung the best in our area.

BK/Phil

PS: just checked Adorama they list the lense for 219-50 heres the link http://www.adorama.com/PX55200AFD.html

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:31 AM   #4

I bought mine from Amazon last week. Unfortunately it went up $10 before I made up my mind to buy it butwith thefree shipping it ended up beingthe same price as if I purchased it from Adorama since they charge for shipping. Now I just needto get my rebate form mailed in.

JeanneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 1:58 PM   #5

Thanks for the input, all. I was afraid of that with Abe's. I knew they weren't located in Maine and had read quite a few bad comments about them. But, some were old, also.

JeanneB- Yes, the prices have been fluctuating between places for the few weeks I've been watching. Each week a different one will have the lowest price. This week was Abe's. I could wait if someone goes less, but want to make sure I buy before the 11th. And, I'm anxious to get it. Almost bought at Ritz yesterday so I could have it in hand last night!

I'll check the ones tonight you all suggested and check out the shipping costs. Pricegrabber.com will include the shipping in the comparison list. At least I'm assuming it's the correct shipping costs.

Old Oct 3, 2006, 2:17 PM   #6

I had a bad experience with Abe's of Maine a year or two ago. I ordered something which was supposed to be in stock. After 3 days, I still had not received confirmation that my order had shipped. When I called them to find out what was going on, they actually did NOT have any. Their web site was still saying "In Stock" the entire time. I had themcancel the order and I went elsewhere.....but it cost me a 3-4 day delay.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 5:36 PM   #7

Okay, I just ordered from Adorama. Checked out a few sites and either they were out of stock or Amazon.com was shipping from Adorama anyway. And, the free shipping from Amazon didn't hold when you ordered it. It kept taking me to the Adorama shipping costs page. I thought about ebay, but have never bought anything more than $50 on ebay. Not ready to take that risk yet.

Opted for the 2nd day air so I know I'll have it this weekend.

Now to watch the mailbox!

Thanks for the help.

Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:38 PM   #8

anyone buying direct should ck the seller here
http://www.resellerratings.com/

there are sellers (Tristate comes to mind) that have rotten reviews from the above site that also sell on ebay and they have wonderful feed back. buying from them on ebay is the only way i'd buy from them as they have to watch out for the instant backlash of negative feedback.

roy
Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:40 PM   #9

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Okay, I just ordered from Adorama. Checked out a few sites and either they were out of stock or Amazon.com was shipping from Adorama anyway. And, the free shipping from Amazon didn't hold when you ordered it. It kept taking me to the Adorama shipping costs page. I thought about ebay, but have never bought anything more than $50 on ebay. Not ready to take that risk yet.

Opted for the 2nd day air so I know I'll have it this weekend.

Now to watch the mailbox!

Thanks for the help.

Amazon must have run out of what they had in stock just in the last few days because I ordered mine last Thursday and it came direct from Amazon.
JeanneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:34 PM   #10

I ordered the same lense, 50-200 from them - Adorama, took the free 8-10 day shipping and it took the full 10 days to arrive (that was yesterday). I ordered my K100D camera kit from Beach - the same day and it arrived in 3 days (free shipping, standard).

PS - I really like the camera - been taking pictures as time permitted with the kit lense - very happy with it. Have yet to get a minute to use the new one, though.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote