Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 3, 2006, 1:36 AM   #1

Recently I have discovered myself relying too heavily on SR on K100D trying to make all shots handheld/natural light even in low light conditions. Has someone else found such an "addiction" a bad habit? Yes, SR can salvage some precious moments even with rather wrong setup (lens/apperture etc.) (eg a out of bag snap of my cat who just jumped onto the fridge- I knew I had only some moments to capture her):

http://diagnostika.ee/K100D/Cat_on_Fridge.jpg

So what to do further- get back to "normal" shooting or get somehow lazy and keep SR on all the time?

Best, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2006, 2:01 AM   #2

The wonderful part is you can choose to do either.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"SR is not replacing anything. Maybe a tripod or monopod in some instances.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The beauty of it is that you can get a shot in certain conditions you most likely couldn't without it.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"In time, I am sure you will know when it will best serve your needs.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:47 AM   #3

I have a feeling that SR will be alot like microwaves and cell phones....before you had your first one, you weren't even sure if you needed it. But after you have one for a while, you can't imagine ever going without it! All I know is I've gotten several low-light shots with SR which I would never have gotten without it.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:42 AM   #4

I second that. It is an addicted practice. I have DL & K100D. The plan was that the latter will only be used for long teleprime. Now the dL is usually hooked to my Zenitar 16mm which has less need for SR. That is it.
You do have a point. Anyone one of us carry a light meter whenever we are taking pix? Only a handful I believe

Daniel

Reps wrote:
Quote:
Recently I have discovered myself relying too heavily on SR on K100D trying to make all shots handheld/natural light even in low light conditions. Has someone else found such an "addiction" a bad habit? Yes, SR can salvage some precious moments even with rather wrong setup (lens/apperture etc.) (eg a out of bag snap of my cat who just jumped onto the fridge- I knew I had only some moments to capture her):

So what to do further- get back to "normal" shooting or get somehow lazy and keep SR on all the time?

Best, JR
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:43 AM   #5

My answer to your question:-

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/K1...ml#SR_Comments

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh

Reps wrote:
Quote:

Best, JR
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:16 AM   #6

It hasn't really changed anything for me - there are limits to how much it helps. The one thing that it did do is convince me to buy a nice long tele - without SR there's no way I could have handled something like a heavy300mm lens. So I'm still working hard on good shooting techniques, just getting more "keepers."

The one habit I have picked up with it is that I don't pay as much attention to shutter speed - I think aperture/DOF and shoot. There's freedom to that - you can concentrate on the composition more and less on the mechanics. Or maybe that's more a reflection of the fact my first SLR was an ME, which is aperture priority only so that's the way I learned how to think in the first place.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:51 PM   #7

personally i love the idea of shake reduction and just see it as an evolution in camera technology. I really prefer non flash (ambient light) photography but am now understanding that flash is a very necessary tool. but i really look forward to owning a pentax slr that will allow me to just carry around minemal equipment but also increase the odds of every shot i take not being runined by camera shake.

i really applaude pentax for implementing this in the body of the camera and allowing those of us on a tight budget to use this 'cutting edge technology' with all their existing lenses. it seems like such a great way to save costs instead of having to buy expensive lenses with the stabilization built into it.

there will always be people who do not like or see no need for this feature. or technology. I still read comments about people saying autofocus is an uneccessary luxury. I need it but, there are situations where it will not work (i think there is always a situation where an automatic feature will not work). some people still say records sound better than cds. does anyone prefer fully manual flashes over ttl? i think its just another step in camera evolution.

will it make us lazy photographers? did automatic flashes make us more lazy? i think as long as you learn the basics of good posture and handholding techniques SR can only augment your technique and thus increase the success rate of your shots. does that make you a better photographer? the only worries i have with this technology is how it affects the lifespan of your camera.

but as someone already stated, you can always turn it off when you dont need it and shoot au naturale.
ardigitalman is offline   Reply With Quote