Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:50 PM   #1

I am eager to see the Pentax K10D. I am thinking about getting one if they seem as good as the press release promises.

But I have some questions:
  • what is the best Pentax everyday digital zoom?[/*]
  • Are the pictures sharp as a tack or do you have to monkey around with photoshopo to get any sharpness?[/*]
  • How do Pentax Digital Zooms compare in clarity and snap, say with equivalent Nikon/Canon?[/*]
  • What's the lens construction like, plastickey or robust and durable?[/*]
  • I know that Pentax says that their K mount 35mm lens will fit the Digital, but do you have to go through a complicated procedure to get them to work on a digital? Is it worth the hassle?[/*]
  • Does Pentax have a digital wide angle Zoom that will also have some macro features?
    [/*]
I note that on this website , lot's of people seem to complain about the reliability of their Pentax Optios? What's the reliability like on the Pentax Digital SLRs? My Pentax 35 mm SLRs are as solid as a rock.

Thanks for answers.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:29 PM   #2

As far as previous versions of K mount lenses - how much hassle depends on the version of the lens you have.

K or M lenses are completely manual lenses (I have a number of them, since my previous SLR was an ME). There's a selection in the menu you have to set once (stays selected unless you go in and change it back to the default) to allow the camera to stop down the lens when using aperture rings on lenses. Then you aim the camera where you want to meter, push the AE-L button to temporarily stop down the lens and let the camera meter and set the shutter speed, manually focus (the camera willindicate when it thinks its in focus), then shoot. Not complicated at all - it takes more effort to write this than it does to use a manual lens (though I do occasionally forget to meter).

If you have an A lens (I have one) the camera can set the aperture and shutter speed, but you do have to manually focus.

While I missed the split screen at first when I was manually focusing, I've practiced enough so that manually focusing isn't a big problem. It does help to have a sharp lens to start with, though. The camera also has an indicator when it thinks its in focus, which on the K100D is pretty accurate.

Reliability on my two Pentax dSLRs seem to be excellent, but I've only had the DS since January.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 1:54 AM   #3

I have some answers:

What is the best Pentax everyday zoom depends on what kind of pictures you're taking. Every case is individual.

Yes, pictures are sharp. Especially with prime lenses.

Take any Pentax, Canon and Nikon lense for the same price and equivalent focal lengths and Pentax lense will outperfor them. Pentax gives better quality for the same money.

Pentax lenses are robust and durable, there are no such cheap plastic [email protected] as Canon EF-S 18-55 etc.

There's no hassle to to make any K mount lense to work on Pentax DSLR.

Wide zoom with macro? No. Anyway, zoom and macro does not come together. If you check those zoom "macro" lenses, tou'll see that their macro ratio isn't really macro

IMHO reliability of Pentax P&S cameras and DSLR are not related, they are assemblend in different plants. BTW, I think that Pentax P&S cameras are just average...
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:49 AM   #4

• what is the best Pentax everyday digital zoom?[/*]
Depends on your usage. The 18-55 kit lens is darn good for the money - generally considered one of the best kit lines of any of the dSLRs. If you are looking for different ranges, the FA20-35 gets good reviews, FA24-90, and some of the FA28-105 (there are ~3).
  • Are the pictures sharp as a tack or do you have to monkey around with photoshopo to get any sharpness?[/*]
I've never had a problem - I shoot in P most of the time, set tonality to "natural" instead of "bright" and up the in camera sharpness by 1. Pics look fine to me.
  • How do Pentax Digital Zooms compare in clarity and snap, say with equivalent Nikon/Canon?[/*]
Can't say for sure - but general consensus seems to be as good or better.
  • What's the lens construction like, plastickey or robust and durable?[/*]
For the most part, Pentax lenses are very solid. Like everybody, they've produced some dogs. the FA-J series are very budget lenses, lots of plastic, etc. But the DA lenses, even though they have a lot of plastic are quite solid - at least as far as I'm concerned. And the fact that you can use the older lenses - those lenses are built like tanks. I have an M 50/1.7 that is 30 years old - works as good as it did when it was new.
  • I know that Pentax says that their K mount 35mm lens will fit the Digital, but do you have to go through a complicated procedure to get them to work on a digital? Is it worth the hassle?[/*]
Mounting it is no problem - twist, lock. Shooting with it requires you to change 1 or 2 custom menu settings, and for earlier than A lenses (K and M) you need to push the AE-L button to meter before you shoot. Otherwise there is nothing to it. Its very simple.
  • Does Pentax have a digital wide angle Zoom that will also have some macro features?[/*]
Not from Pentax - maybe from Sigma or Tamron, but they are probably 1:2 or less macros, not 1:1

ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 9:50 PM   #5

A wide angle macro is a pretty odd beast. I've never seen a true wide angle macro, although I have a strange 28mm "macro" lens, it has a flat field, certainly, but it's usefulness is limited.

The K, M, and A lenes are built like tanks, as are the Limited lenses. Modern lenses have polycarbonate barrels (for temperature stability) but the Pentax ones I have are pretty solid.
danag42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 12:04 AM   #6

Is that what they are made out of? I didn't know that. The two DA lenses I have seem to be pretty sturdy and I appreaciate the fact that they are light-weight.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote