Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 4, 2006, 3:39 AM   #1

I have just won an on-line auction for some Pentax bits, a Spotmatic, an SV, a 55mm F2 Super Takumar, a 35mm 2.8 Safari, a 2x teleconverter and what I was really angling for, a 50mm f1.4 Super Takumar.

Now the thought strikes me, while waiting for this box to arrive, will the protruding rear element on the f1.4 cause me a problem on the *ist DS? (I would really hate to break the camera mirror :sad

Incidently, this little lot cost me about US$50

BTW, who knows anything about the 'Safari' lens?My first online search didnt turn up anything.

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2006, 10:44 AM   #2
TDN

it should not, but to be sure, you can carefully try if you feel any resistance when you mount it on.

If so, you can always cut it off...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:40 PM   #3

I have four of the Super Takumars that I use and they give no problem and are extremely sharp. Since they use the aperture pin that goes in and out, these lenses have no connection to the camera as far as aperture, so they become fully manual. You need to set your aperture on the lens, then with the camera in the M mode, I click the AV button to turn on the light meter, then push the AE-L button to set the shutter speed to the proper speed for the aperture you have set according to the light meter reading. Focus and snap. Be sure your menu is set to allow aperture ring.

One more thing I do, is it is not easy to focus stopped down. So say you take a meter reading and set the shutter at F8, I then open the aperture wide, focus and count the clicks back to F8 before I shoot. This becomes very automatic after awhile. Good luck and enjoy your new purchase. These old Super Takumars were some of the best lenses made- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 1:12 PM   #4

Thanks guys, I have some long(ish) M42primes that I use but this will be the first with the protruding rear element.
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote