Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 4, 2006, 9:08 AM   #1

Apparently a few key kite flyer will be attending (after the Toronto KitFestival re my earlier post SEpt 17)

http://www.niagarakite.com/

It looks promising except that there is no guarantee about the weather . It needs to have wind and no rain as well.

I will not be able to go as it is the Canadian Thankgiving holiday.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:45 PM   #2

I used to be involved in the kite scene a little (Peter Lynn and Anne Whitehead were friends of mine), really they dont need much wind. Too much wind with the big kites is dangerous. I hope they have a great day!
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 8:05 PM   #3

I did not go over to the U S side of Niagara. Instead I stayed on the Canadian side to avoid the border line up during the Canadian Thanksgiving holiday rush .

Shop scene of Niagara on the Lake, Ont. As you can see it was still quite warm.

Also Zenitar 16mm 2.8

Daniel
Attached Images

Old Oct 17, 2006, 8:57 PM   #4

Very nice sidewalk pic. I like the lighting and how you managed to capture the front side of the shops, the people walking along and the plants in the foreground. Very well framed shot.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 8:57 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I enjoy your pictures Daniel. I especially like the "slice of life" images that you post! While I equally enjoy the drama of a posed picture, you images are add a nice variety! In the mean time, I need to get out more! J
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:35 PM   #6

Thanks for looking. Jelpee and Royce

Jelpee,

You need to get out to take pix more . Given where you are located, in a matter of weeks, things will be uglier than what it is now. Just look at the scene at Buffalo.

There are quite a few buildings and shops with interesting features in Niagara on the Lake. Even the government tourist centre has some style.

Daniel

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
I enjoy your pictures Daniel. I especially like the "slice of life" images that you post! While I equally enjoy the drama of a posed picture, you images are add a nice variety! In the mean time, I need to get out more! J
Attached Images

Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:41 PM   #7

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
Very nice sidewalk pic. I like the lighting and how you managed to capture the front side of the shops, the people walking along and the plants in the foreground. Very well framed shot.
It is not that difficult with most wide angle lens (like DA14mm). But you need to look at things from entirely different angles. This one is typically interesting and certainly unconventional

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/a...t.php?id=79698

Daniel
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:49 AM   #8

The wife and I went to check the kites out that weekend, we of course are on the US side. I read the website wrong and thought it was at the state park at the falls, when it was in fact in Lewiston that day. So we didn't get a chance to see anything. I don't know what we would have seen anyway since it was a pretty calm day all around.

Also love to take a walk through the shops at Niagara-on-the-Lake and drive down the Niagara Parkway. It's usually something we do every summer a few times, since we live so close. But lately the gridlock on the border crossings has limited our trips to Canada to family gatherings. It's sad really.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:12 PM   #9

http://www.niagarakite.com/
The pict clearly shows that it is to be held at the Fall U S side. I would have made the same mistake. I did not go because it was the Can Thanksgiving .
When you cross border, make sure you check out the time it take for each of the 3 crossing in HomeLand Sec site. I do drive over that periodically on the way to DC/Long Island and their site is very precise in telling travellers the waiting time of each crossing.

Daniel

MadMikeSS wrote:
Quote:
The wife and I went to check the kites out that weekend, we of course are on the US side. I read the website wrong and thought it was at the state park at the falls, when it was in fact in Lewiston that day. So we didn't get a chance to see anything. I don't know what we would have seen anyway since it was a pretty calm day all around.

Also love to take a walk through the shops at Niagara-on-the-Lake and drive down the Niagara Parkway. It's usually something we do every summer a few times, since we live so close. But lately the gridlock on the border crossings has limited our trips to Canada to family gatherings. It's sad really.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:16 PM   #10

Trust me, I know well. I was born and raised in Port Colborne Ontario, lived there for 27 years. Married an american girl and now live in a northtown of Buffalo. I've crossed the border more times than I care to count at this point. With 2 young kids it's not always fun to sit and wait in line for the Peace Bridge. Incidentally we made it over to my parents place on the Sunday for Can Thanksgiving dinner and the bridge traffic was not bad.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote