Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 4, 2006, 10:19 PM   #1

It is told that a dpreview forum member has passed away recently in an accident:-

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...040&page=1

When I first saw the message, I had a deep sorrow myself, especially the tragedy happened to someone whom I know and I had talked to (and maybe argued with) before, IIRC.

But what have made me felt more sad is about the cruel reactions of quite some of the people who replied to the thread. From their (silly, IMHO) responses, it seems that those Pentax gear left behind are even far more important to the loss of a valuable life, for those (silly, IMHO again) Pentaxians. And, it is very ridiculous to see responses like "Welcome to the Pentax forum" or "Glad to have a new forum member", etc. (*What* is glad in this tragedy? I just wish to ask..) I can sense a few people are being admired of getting numerous Pentax gear "accidentially". Some even to discuss how to sell off the Pentax gear at e-bay. The worst is about people who are very unrespectfully to mention about / make jokes on "the wife" of the passed away forum member.

It might happens that I don't understand the culture of foreigners of different countries owing to the cultural difference, or just that owing to my limited English knowledge, as a non-native English speaker/writer/reader so that I have misinterpreted some of the responses. But what I have seen just look very illogical to me. Maybe do I get something wrong? Or, is it just a joke or hoax??

If this is/are not the case(s), but instead, for what I have interpreted are correct, I really find those are very sad, illogical and unexplainable.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2006, 10:56 PM   #2

It was just a joke, no one died.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:39 PM   #3

"We were out at a mud-bog last weekend. He was pulling a Ford pickup out of the mud with his GMC, when both vehicles and drivers were sucked into a giant underground methane cavern. We haven't been able to recover either vehicle due to the odor, so we can only assume the worst."

This was a spoof, not something that really happened.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:12 AM   #4

ok. that was a joke on a joke.

daniel

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
"We were out at a mud-bog last weekend. He was pulling a Ford pickup out of the mud with his GMC, when both vehicles and drivers were sucked into a giant underground methane cavern. We haven't been able to recover either vehicle due to the odor, so we can only assume the worst."

This was a spoof, not something that really happened.

Tom
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:44 AM   #5

I read this thread on Dpreview last night and it took me a while to figure it was either a joke or a person with a warped sense of humor. My feeling is it was done in very poor taste, especially the comments about the fellows wife. I'm sure not everyone was awhere it was a joke and theDpreview forum is worldwide and reaches defferent cultures. I agree with youthat it waskind of a sick joke - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:49 AM   #6

For the most part, that forum is a group of people who are very familiar with each other- most people who read regularly know that "TresOkies" real name is Eric and he is from Oklahoma. When a post shows up from "Eric in OK" - it became pretty clear. He was posted about himself and his own wife - if its a twisted joke, its himself doing it - nobody else. Most people just played along with it.

I for one found it very funny
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 11:50 AM   #7

It was definitely an inside joke, and if you were not in the group, I could see how you could take it the wrong way.

I found it funny to a certain extent, but I am not sure dpreview was the best place to keep it going, and going without making it clear to outsiders what was going on.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 7:35 PM   #8

Eric C in OK is, in fact, TresOkies. Apperantly he switched his username and thought he would make a joke about it. I had to read it twice to make sure... these things can easily be misinterpreted on the internet.
SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote