Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 5, 2006, 3:29 PM   #1

I've printed a few B&W photos from my HP PSC1350 (1 black cartridge) but let the printer driver think the photo was in color so I got a great blue-black tone. Examining the print closely, however, reveals the lack of quality this printer brings to the table. (Shouldn't complain much; it was cheap and actually doesn't do a half-bad job on color photos.)

So for those of you who print B&W: What printer do you use or do you use a service (uploading the file?)? Frankly, considering the cost of inks, I don't mind using a service.

Comments and opinions most welcome.

Thanks,
Barry
rumplestilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2006, 5:54 PM   #2

I use what is now a fairly old Epson Photo EX set up with Lyson Quad inks. This ink set uses a total of 4 black inks and produces really good results, they please me anyway. More recent printers can be set up with a greater number of channels. The draw back is that you really need two printers (one for b and w and one for colour).
colrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 8:59 AM   #3

Epson printers with multiple black inks do a great job on B&W photos and some of the newer ones such as the R1800 ($465) and R2400 ($700) do a fantastic job on both B&W and Color.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 9:33 AM   #4

I use an HP Photosmart7760 that I picked up as a refurb on ebay for $55 delivered. It can use the #59 Grayscalecartridge (3 inks...photo black, med. gray and light gray)to produce really great b&w's on the HP papers.

Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:06 AM   #5

I have the same HP 7760 printer and it does a nice job on B&W, but not as nice as my R1800 Epson does although there is a considerable price difference.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 9:41 PM   #6

My R1800 is a fantastic printer. It has a zillion different cartridges, but the advantage is that all the black cartridges are mounted at the same time, so you don't have to change black carts for different papers.
danag42 is offline   Reply With Quote