Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 7, 2006, 3:51 AM   #11

sorry to be a bad sport, but do i detect some purple fringing in the image 9(sheep) & 10(bistrot) [around the edges of the tree leaves with the sky as background]?

looking at the "bistrot" shot closer, i see some sort of purple fringing not only around the tree leaves edges (with the sky as background) but also around the chrome parts of the car and around the edges of the chairs as well.

now, i'm no optical physicist, but is that purple fringing or is it just my (very) poor understanding of optical physics?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 6:23 AM   #12

zygh wrote:
Quote:
sorry to be a bad sport, but do i detect some purple fringing in the image 9(sheep) & 10(bistrot) [around the edges of the tree leaves with the sky as background]?

looking at the "bistrot" shot closer, i see some sort of purple fringing not only around the tree leaves edges (with the sky as background) but also around the chrome parts of the car and around the edges of the chairs as well.

now, i'm no optical physicist, but is that purple fringing or is it just my (very) poor understanding of optical physics?
Yes, you did. But you have to 'blow up' the image to 300% to see the effects around the car & chairs.

I wonder how this compares with other makes - after PF is not limited to any one manufacturer.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 6:45 AM   #13

I have seen sample, K10Dhave a better picture quality.

I am waiting to buy it, K10D.

K10D to continue to provide the old TV output of no value is let medisappointing. I dream of have a DVI output, External mobile monitor, not old TV.
Timon@Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 6:50 AM   #14

Quote:
DonalDuc
Quote:
Nice !!!!!

Especially the girl ;-)

Yes!

K10Dhave a better quality of picture.

Timon@Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 7:15 AM   #15

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
Yes, you did. But you have to 'blow up' the image to 300% to see the effects around the car & chairs.

I wonder how this compares with other makes - after PF is not limited to any one manufacturer.
I agree, purple fringing is not limited to any manufacturer, that is the reason I said it could be a simple matter of optical physics (refraction of light, i suppose) and that, my speculation is, any camera in those given circumstances would have exhibited, to some degree, purple fringing.

Now, I am also keen to see how the K10 will perfomr in thorough tests. If the purple fringing is truly a problem of the K10, then it will be sure to come out in tests. Somehow, I find that very hard to believe and continue to think that any given camera in that certain situation would have come out with a result exhibiting purple fringing. You are right, Catbells, one does have to look at an ~300% crop to be able to see the that. Anyway, I didn't think it was a -real- problem when I first saw that, just wanted to give notice of its existence.

zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 10:37 AM   #16

As far as I understand, purple fringing is a lens problem, not a camera body problem.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 12:56 PM   #17

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
As far as I understand, purple fringing is a lens problem, not a camera body problem.
Not necessarily so.

Extract from: http://www.pictureline.com/newslette...plefringe.html

There seems to be an awful lot of discussion going on in the digital camera world about the dreaded purple fringe. This phenomenon exhibits its self as an out of focus purple ghost image rimming parts of a digital picture.

This event, purple fringing, was thought to have been brought about strictly by Chromatic Aberration in the lens design. CA occurs when one to all three of the primary wavelength colors (RGB) do not focus at the same destination point. Less expensive or less exacting lenses exhibit this behavior regularly. It is easy to see with a single element lens, such as a magnifying glass. Tip the glass so that the light rays are not passing directly through its center and at some point a rainbow effect will be cast upon the reflecting surface. Modern camera lenses utilize multiple lens elements in an attempt to prevent this problem. Lens creators also use special low dispersion glass (LD, UD or ED designations), special lens coatings, aspherically ground elements and occasionally fluorite elements to counter act design problems and to eliminate CA in their more expensive lines. Most of the low end digital cameras have been accused of having simple and inexpensive lenses which are more likely to be plagued with CA, thus more purple fringing. However, with some of the new 8 megapixel cameras, with great lenses, reporting purple fringing, researchers began looking deeper than just the taking lens.

The imaging sensors became the next suspicion. The light imaging sites on the sensor, often wrongly referred to as sensor pixels, are set down into the silicon chip material like small buckets. The imaging sites must physically be separated from each other to avoid bloom or bleed over. Bloom is blown out highlights, like in a fantasy dream sequence, which leave temporary white trails. Bleed over is color smearing and polluted color intensity between sites. To funnel light down into the separating buckets each site is covered with a microscopic lens. With eight million tiny lenses, all within three eights of an inch, there is bound to be stray or inadvertent reflected light. So test shots were made in an attempt to determine if CA of the site lenses was the culprit. It does not appear that the site lenses alone are the problem.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 11:31 AM   #18

well, about purple fringing, serious, i can see purple fringing. i love k10d, the specs, but i hope the fringing are not from the new coming zoom lenses? i'm keeping an eye with this love babe with a combination of the new bright zoom lens.
precsmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 5:20 AM   #19

DonalDuc wrote:
Quote:
There is also the manual for K10D online
. . .. . . unfortunately it is only a brochure (very detailed) - not an Owners' Manual.

Mike
MikeAusA200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:21 AM   #20

MikeAusA200 wrote:
Quote:
DonalDuc wrote:
Quote:
There is also the manual for K10D online
. . .. . . unfortunately it is only a brochure (very detailed) - not an Owners' Manual.

Mike
For a brief time they had the manual there. But of course I didn't download it.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote