Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 6, 2006, 12:49 PM   #1

I have Canon 10D and considering the Pentax K10D if the final reviews and photos are favorable. I would keep my Canon I presume.

What is the difference between this pentax pttl with flash unit and that of the Canon and Nikon? Considering I dont have a flash unit and probably wont need one, give me a dummies explanation.

Does Pentax have some good fast telephoto primes that would work with auto focus and exposure on the K10. Something on the order of a 300 f4 etc

sasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2006, 1:27 PM   #2

Well, I'm new to the game but I can recomend looking up the thread about Pentax flases. It goes into specific explination about all the different types of flash for Pentax and what that means.Very helpful.

From what Ive been reading, yes Pentax does have some older 300m "*" zooms but they are going for huge prices on ebay right now.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 1:34 PM   #3

The F*/FA* 300mm Pentax primes are of the highest quality of any manufacturer, but available only used. The new DFA*300mm won't be available until next year sometime.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 1:51 PM   #4

According to Pentax USA catalog:

P-FA* 300mm f/2.8 $6,067 US (autofocus)

and P-A* 300 f/2.8 $6876 US

for more down to earth lens

P-A 400 f5.6 $2172 US......

Went as far as "checkout" and no "out of stock" or "out of production" screen.

If your willing to spend $6000 I'm sure they will make you one :shock:

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 2:03 PM   #5

Spiritbro77 wrote:
Quote:
From what Ive been reading, yes Pentax does have some older 300m "*" zooms but they are going for huge prices on ebay right now.
The only *-quality zooms are the FA* 28-70 f2.8 and FA* 80-200 f2.8 and the F* and FA* 250-600 f5.6. If you find the two first you're lucky (but your personal financial advicer is not), if you find one of the latter you're qualified for Madame Tussaud's and you'll probably have to rob a few banks on pay-day to afford it.

But the F 70-210 f 4-5.6 is also very good, and there are of course the *-quality primes. They are not cheap, but possible to find and pay for. Look for F/FA* 300 mm f4.5 and FA* 200 mm f2.8.

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 2:55 PM   #6

Thanks, yes I meant primes. Long night and short sleep.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 8:34 PM   #7

Some of the best primes around. The 50mm f/1.4 is famous as one of the sharpest fast primes you can get. There are several versions, the current one is the autofocus but there are plenty of M and A versions around (I use both in my studio).

The Limited primes are perhaps the best lenses avilable today. Odd focal lengths, but they work very well on the APS-C sensor. The originals are full-frame, there are some DA versions coming out.

The 100mm Dental Macro is something of a collector item, and no, you can't have mine!

There's a 200mm f/4 * macro. If you can find one, it's one of the best you can get. Be prepared to pay a large fortune for it, if you can find someone who will let go of it. BTW, some were converted to Canon mount by Marty Forscher years ago. They are even harder to find.
danag42 is offline   Reply With Quote