Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 7, 2006, 12:46 PM   #11

Thanks ya'll. I should be getting a tripod this weekend (and hopefully a monopod as well). I was exhausted simply from trying to hold still enough to keep the target in focus.

Royce, these seem to come up on ebay fairly regularly. You can find the same lens under three different names (maybe more, I learned of three here on the forum) Kiron 105mm 2.8 macro, Vivitar Series 1 105mm 2.5 macro (I don't know why Vivitar calls it a 2.5, same lens), and Lester A. Dine 105mm 2.8 macro. I understand that some varieties came with a built in hood, mine is a Lester Dine and it did not. Going price for Pentax mount seems to be @ $200 but I just saw a Nikon mount go on ebay for almost $400.

Roy, Hogrider, or anyone, assuming I maintain a strong interest in macro photography (I don't think that is likely to change) but would be another good lens to look for. I have zero complaints with the Kiron (well, sometimes it takes forever to turn it from infinity to macro and back as needed) but I am interested in knowing if there are other lenses that will offer different capabilities to add onto the Kiron.

Thanks,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 12:53 PM   #12

very nice photos. I like the bee shot best. it's very sharp lens, lots of details in all photos.

are they cropped in any way (except the square ones) or is it straight from camera?

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 1:54 PM   #13

Thanks Greg,

If I remember correctly, the second bee photograph and the last two spider photos are just resized with no cropping at all. The first bee photograph was not cropped too much, he filled 2/3rds of the image. The third bee is actually a crop of the second. All of the crops still had to be resized down significantly to fit in the forum though.

Tim
Old Oct 7, 2006, 3:32 PM   #14

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
but I am interested in knowing if there are other lenses that will offer different capabilities to add onto the Kiron.

Thanks,

Tim
get some tubes or a macro converter or use 1 diopter lens. are the newer ones any better? in a word- no. will(hogrider) had the new pentax 100mm f2.8 and sold it because it did not offer anything.

roy
Old Oct 8, 2006, 8:53 PM   #15

Thanks Roy,

How about the 50 and 55mm macros I see. Do they have a special purpose? I assume you have to get even closer to the subject to use these which is the opposite of the direction I would like to move. I am still waiting to find a Pentax 200mm macro for sale (and when I do, I doubt I will be able to afford it).

Tim