Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 7, 2006, 4:05 PM   #1

I have had my new K100D for a bit over a week and I have really enjoyed it a lot. In using it I have several questions that all of you may help me out on.
HDR - I have taken a few HDR images but need to process them. One thing that I did not count on that I came across, is that if your going to stitch a panaromic shot together, especially in RAW, that between panels, you need to let the system write out to the SD card - makes absolute sense. I was not big into sports so the amount of buffering did not matter, and I just did not think of it in terms of applying to HDR, with the 3 image series.
Also, found out the hard way, that going into HDR does not automatically set the camera into RAW, if the current mode is JPEG. I find that just about all the post processing utilities requires RAW. This might be a nice update for Pentax to make.
Batteries - The standard AAs that come with it, last about 200 shots (about 20 of them were with the flash and about 80% had SR on). That's just what I was expecting. However, the main question is replacement batteries. Rechargeables are not recommended, but how about high capacity single use ones like these. Has anyone used the 3000uAhr single use AA (any brand) before in a Pentax product??.

http://www.batterywarehousedirect.com/2.html

View Details
SKU 347239 Product Title Hitech lithium CRV3 3volt battery Description CRV3 3 volt lithiumphoto battery (non-rechargeable). This battery has a 3000mAh capacity.Sold in quantities of 1 ($4.55 per battery),8 ($3.99 per battery), or 25 ($3.65per battery). Replaces: CR-V3,LB01, LB-01, Olympus LB-01, Olympus camedia LB-01 S&H is only a flat $4.95!!

Overall - neither of these are a big deal, I really do like the camera a lot! Going to Cabo San Lucas week after next and I am hoping for some great scenery.

... back to helping my son on his physics project (I'll be glad when its done and turned in).
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2006, 8:11 PM   #2

interested_observer wrote:
HDR - I have taken a few HDR images but need to process them. One thing that I did not count on that I came across, is that if your going to stitch a panaromic shot together, especially in RAW, that between panels, you need to let the system write out to the SD card - makes absolute sense. I was not big into sports so the amount of buffering did not matter, and I just did not think of it in terms of applying to HDR, with the 3 image series.Also, found out the hard way, that going into HDR does not automatically set the camera into RAW, if the current mode is JPEG. I find that just about all the post processing utilities requires RAW. This might be a nice update for Pentax to make
I'm afraid you're confusing bracketing and HDR (High Dynamic Range) photography.

Bracketing is very old method of taking photos in difficult lighting conditions, there are taken a few pictures (usually three) one of them is with correct (according to camera's metering system) and some underexposed, some overexposed.
Later, when film is processed, photographer can decide which picture is the best.

HDR photography is relatively new, it is digital photography technique. In some way it is an answer to reduced dynamic range of digital photography. You make bracketed exposures and then with special software blend those bracketed pictures into one.

In fact, HDR photography isn't a feature of a camera, it's a post-processing technique.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 9:57 PM   #3

Hi Edvinas - You are quite right, I should have been more specific/clear in my initial posting. In attempting to acquire the raw material, i.e., the images to post process in a HDR fashion, I am using the bracketing functionality of the camera, where by it takes 3 images in quick succession, one normal exposure, one under exposed and one over exposed.

It did not occour to me, that 1) it needed to be in the RAW format and 2) if I am taking a multi image panaroma wishing to stitch the images together, you need to take 3 images of each panel - that there might be a delay in writing the images to the SD card - thus the limited buffer space comes into play. Or put another way - however, in taking these initial images, I have found that the first panel is taken in quick succession by the camera. Then when setting up the next panel, the writing of the first set of 3 images in all likelyhood has not been completed, so you have to wait until the buffer is empty to take the next set of 3 in the series. This is similiar to taking a large number of images in a sports setting in quick succession.

Also, since RAW is larger in size as compared to JPG the function of writing to memory takes longer.

I never had to worry about this with my 35 year old Spotmatic II as it would be difficult - if not impossible to replicate this capability.

The other item that I touched on, is since the vast majority of the post processing software that combines the images for HDR uses the RAW format, when one wants to do HDR, it is potentially a 2 step process 1) if the camera is not in RAW - put it in RAW, and 2) enable the Bracketing capability.

Of the post processing software I have looked at all but one requires RAW, while the single instance (so far) that uses JPG, processes it to overlaid layers as opposed to a true HDR.

I am not in any way unhappy with the camera, however if someone is interested in HDR, I was making the point that the buffer size is more important than one might initially think - since it is usually associated with sports and action photography, applies to this technique also.

I had thought a bit about waiting for the K10D, however due to its size, weight and bulk (I saw a comparison on another thread), I still think I made the right decision. I also compared the K100 to the Canon, Nikon and Olympus models. I wanted the SR option and did not care for the C and N as much in terms of size and IS in the lens.

All in all, I am very satisified with my selection.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 10:31 PM   #4

With Batterys there are several ways to Go.
Lithium AA Batterys- Such as the Energizer E2 lithium
CRV3 Batterys
NIMH AA rechargeable Batterys.

Each has its Strong points. I personally use 4-sets of NIMH 2500MA Batterys and 1 set 2600MA NIMH. However I also Carry a set of CRV3, Just incase

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 12:02 AM   #5

Which software do you use for your hdr photos? I've only tried CS2 and have had little success (but haven't tried that hard either). The one time I had some success was with jpg files (but the pictures didn't quite line up and the result was horrible). I'd be interested in how you get things together.

As far as panoramas go - is there a reason why you bracket for them? I've had better luck with them than with HDR,and have done it simply by using manual exposure - set an appropriate setting for the first one and leave it alone for the rest. I've run into the colors not matching in the sky when the camera hasbeen left to itself for exposure - is bracketing better?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 12:11 AM   #6

I can't help you with HDR, I have not tried my hand at it at all. I am impressed that you got that many shots out of alkaline AA batteries! I use two sets of 2500 mh rechargables. I seem to get somewhere over 500 shots without flash with a set. I also keep two CRV3 batteries with me if I am leaving home with the camera, just in case.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 1:47 AM   #7

Hi,

mtngal Well I have not actually used the HDR software utility yet, as I was gathering some images to try it. What I have been looking at is...
You can combine multiple exposures taken at different settings to create high dynamicrange photos:
http://www.hdrsoft.com/
http://www.panoscan.com/HDR.html

Combining multiple frames/exposures to get more light is called as stacking, it can be also used for synthesizing long exposures.
http://www.tawbaware.com/is_help/imgstack_help.htm

NonEntity1 On the batteries, I started out with the Panasonics that came with the camera. I had picked up some down at the grocery store - some CR V3s. And I was shopping around to order some more rather than pay full retail and see if I could find some single use that would may do better.