Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 8, 2006, 9:43 AM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

B&H has the following lens for $440 (after rebate):
Pentax Telephoto SMCP-D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro Autofocus Lens
Does anyone have any info on,or experience with this lens?
Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:17 AM   #2

jay,
it's a great sharp lens.. light weight and superb. but , you can get just as good results with the older models for more than 1/2 the price.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 1:17 PM   #3

Hi Jay,

I'll go along with Roy here. The D FA 100 2.8 Macro is an excellent lens, as are all the Pentax 1:1 macro primes. This particular lens is relatively lightweight, so if that's important to you, then this one is probably the best in that respect.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 4:27 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Roy & Scott,

Thanks for your input. I think I may include this in my letter to Santa this year!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 7:10 PM   #5

Take a look at the Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro as it is an extremely sharp lens too and compare them both if you have a shop available with both in stock. As others have mentioned, older versions of both lenses will save you quite a bit of money and IMO are just as nice.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:02 PM   #6

Out of all the Macro lenses I've owned, the old Tamron 90 1:2 is still my favorite. BUT it has a flare problem w/ ring flashes and a few very specific conditions. This goes for a few other Macro's as well. My most recent D-FA100 is a wonderful lens but still give a slight edge to the Tamron 90 and a F-50 (same flare problem, apparently not a problem w/ the F-100) from Pentax. Never tried the new Tamron... An old A-50 f2.8 from Pentax (no flare problem) is quite sweet too.
Not crazy about any of the old f4 versions (owned a A-100 f4 but sold it, just not quite what I wanted).
The d-FA100 has some slow AF in low light w/ my D. That's annoying but isn't what I bought the lens for.
Personally think the 50's are SLIGHTLY better in some subtle ways but I wanted the reach of the 100.
It was a tough choice between the d-FA100 from Pentax and the new Tamron. Pentax won......for now :-)
Bottom line, they are all darn good..........

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 5:08 PM   #7

As a resident antedeluvian, I still have and use film along with digital media. Given this, I can't bring myself to use (let alone buy) lenses that are not compatible with both formats (i.e., having a large enough circle along with a working apperture ring). So, when LBA demanded a 100mm macro, I went for an F 100 2.8.

Based uponwhat I had read, I was still surprized by the quality of this lens. It's even better than I was led to believe. This dark grey lens has amazing resolution. However, as good and sturdily built as it is, it is h-e-a-v-y.

OK, it's discontinued.This only means that when you find one it costs less than it's worth.

Good hunting.

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 5:55 PM   #8

The D-FA100 (and 50) MACRO are full frame w/ aperature ring. Fully compatable w/ 35mm and any Pentax K mount lens. Just an FYI. Abosolutely nothing wrong w/ the F though....... :-)

Heathglen wrote:
Quote:
As a resident antedeluvian, I still have and use film along with digital media. Given this, I can't bring myself to use (let alone buy) lenses that are not compatible with both formats (i.e., having a large enough circle along with a working apperture ring). So, when LBA demanded a 100mm macro, I went for an F 100 2.8.

Based uponwhat I had read, I was still surprized by the quality of this lens. It's even better than I was led to believe. This dark grey lens has amazing resolution. However, as good and sturdily built as it is, it is h-e-a-v-y.

OK, it's discontinued.This only means that when you find one it costs less than it's worth.

Good hunting.

Larry in Dallas
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:47 PM   #9

Heathglen wrote:
Quote:

Based uponĀ*what I had read, I was still surprized by the quality of this lens. It's even better than I was led to believe. This dark grey lens has amazing resolution. However, as good and sturdily built as it is, it is h-e-a-v-y.

Good hunting.

Larry in Dallas
Ditto with me except that mine is FA100 2.8. A heavy chunk of glass. All I worry is to lessen its sharpness for non-macro or portrait purpose.

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/macro

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote